Ian Knight

Guest duediligence

Grimsby signed Knight on loan after the injury.... played 7 games & looked awesome by all accounts.

these 7 games coincided with an upturn of results, grimsby then spent £10.000 to buy him...... first game away vs Colchester on a tuesday night, he played ace 1st half..... didnt come out for the 2nd - it turns out he broke his leg in the first half!!!

i seem to recall a couple of attempts to try get back but im not sure he played at all after that. 

Only played a handful of games for us, but looked a brilliant prospect. He was a footballing centre half, who had he not had his leg broken in seven places by Gary Bennett, would have been brilliant (I think) as a sweeper, in front of the back four, or behind a three. When we talk about prospects, I think Ian Knight was the best prospect at Hillsborough in the past thirty years.

Just been reading about him in another thread, my dad used to go on about how good he was. Wasn't he very young when his career was cut short?

I am just interested to know what made him stand out, why was he so good?

Thank you.

That's a depressing thought.  

He was destined for a great career.  Real shame.

Only played a handful of games for us, but looked a brilliant prospect. He was a footballing centre half, who had he not had his leg broken in seven places by Gary Bennett, would have been brilliant (I think) as a sweeper, in front of the back four, or behind a three. When we talk about prospects, I think Ian Knight was the best prospect at Hillsborough in the past thirty years.

Correct