January transfer window

Both have turned out to be great signings I agree, but did we just drop lucky with them?   At  the time, were they really signings that could be bracketed in the "2 or 3 top quality signings needed to make a difference" category that the OP was referring to?

I think Westwood was. Far less so with Lees, to be fair.

I think Hutchinson is a player that we would all have been saying was a great signing but for his injuries (and perhaps disciplinary issues). That he's had injury issues was, of course, predictable - and he's useless to us whilst ever he's injured, but still, he's definitely a quality player when on the pitch, and we knew that much about even when he signed due to his form for us last season.

It's a tough one isn't it.

9 points seems a lot but the league is unpredictable.

If the takeover goes through I'm sure the new owners will bring some much needed quality into the side which we really need regardless.

McGugan, Marshall and Wood would be great additons and give us that much needed attacking boost.

With 19 or so games to go you never know but if we are to act then we need to do it as swiftly as possible.

Tick tock 

If we have some quality up front we can still do it.

The defence is solid, we don't ship many goals. We create chances, if we just put one per game in the back of the net all the 0-0 games would become 3 points.

OK it's still a lot to do but the clubs in the play off places aren't infallible. If Watford lose on Friday to the league leaders which is quite likely and we win (we are away) we will only be 6 points adrift. Not much to make up if we have a decent striker.