OK my assessment

Some very positive constructive posts....

But I still can't help thinking that, despite its obvious frailties, our current squad should be doing better - It's not that bad a side. And the mid-table position is a bit of an illusion, I'm not quite sure how we can still be 13th without a win in ten.

We need a morale boosting victory (and a few extra goals thrown in for good measure) to kick-start things and a good run is still a possibility. Although that sadly might reduce the chance of some money being spent on bringing those much needed extra players in.

yep seems like a bit of an illusion.  If a few of them penalties were given in the Huddersfield, toytown, and Charlton match, we would probably be sat in around 5th place.

We are a confidence team, when we started the season we went on a run, the Man city game zapped confidence from us.

I think we are a decent team just missing a win and I think we will go on a run again. Unfortunately it seems to going through to the coaching staff as well, we are setting up defensive and sitting back - this works away games but home games we need to attack.

Just that win we need....

We are a confidence team, when we started the season we went on a run, the Man city game zapped confidence from us.

I think we are a decent team just missing a win and I think we will go on a run again. Unfortunately it seems to going through to the coaching staff as well, we are setting up defensive and sitting back - this works away games but home games we need to attack.

Just that win we need....

I also think the City game zapped our confidence. In truth though, we've never been totally convincing at home, and without more striking power, I can't see us going on a winning run at Hillsborough. Our attacking limitations mean that we are always going to be more geared up for gaining points away from home. A decent striker will help of course, so we'll see if Stu can finally get a good one over the line before Thursday

My assessment.

Look at this ball inside the full back just before Lees wonder tackle...

That's what we are lacking , a player with the vision to play those balls and a player with the speed to capitalise on those balls. If we can play those balls we can put such dangerous crosses into the box that one of them is bound to go in off one of our strikers no matter how desperately they try to miscue it

Didn't Maghoma play that type of ball through to May when he hit the bar post?

Edit sorry torres didn't see your earlier post.

Edited by Corneliusreeve

Spot on, other than:- Palmer isn't and never will be, a Championship quality right back. Maghoma is a fourth division player, and Semedo, Coke and Lee are third division players at best. we struggled with those players last season, and without the input of some very good loan signings would have had a major battle against relegation. We need a decent right back (and I don't mean Buxton) and two more quality midfield players, AND a fit Sam Hutchinson to have any prospect of finishing in the top seven or eight.

i agree, but it's a funding issue of course... 

As we approach the closing of this current loan window, I think we are probably three players off being a side that can challenge. We are unlikely to bring in any more than one, probably a striker, this window.

We currently sit bang in the middle of the table, something we would have settled for before a ball was kicked.

Looking at the squad, we have a very good back five, in fact as good as any in the division. All these players are our own. We also have an experience five to back those up, so there are no worries about our defence.

Central midfield, we have two enforcers, the talented, but currently injured Hutchinson, and the ever reliable Semedo. In McGugan, Lee and Coke, we have enough talent to be able to field either, a central two, or a three when needed. I also believe Maghoma will end up in this area also, it's his best position in my opinion. Outside of them, we can pick from that man Maghoma, plus Maguire and another loanee, Dutchman Royston Drenthe. Lavery might also be called upon to play wide on occasion. The midfield is steady but I feel we could do with another wideman, especially as both Maguire and Maghoma tend to drift towards the middle.

Up front, this is where we have the problems. Our four options, Nuhiu, May, Madine and Lavery, are all relatively young, and inexperienced at this level. All have a chance of making it, but are unlikely to be the answer this season. Another worry, there doesn't seem to be a pairing amongst them.

Ideally, we'd add another two. An experienced goalscorer, and someone with a bit of pace to stretch teams and stop them defending so high up the pitch.

So, my assessment is, three players, and we could mount a challenge for the play offs. A more realistic scenario, an experienced striker in before Thursday and we can start to take the game to the opposition, especially at Hillsborough where, quite frankly, we've been well short. In summary, with this squad, we are currently where I hoped we'd be. Get the long overdue striker in and who knows.

TOTALLY AGREE