SWFC links to other proffesional city sport

This summer I've been to see Sheffield Eagles Rugby League on a number of occasions, and a couple of weeks ago they won the Co -Op Championship title after beating Featherstone in the Grand Final. Yesterday the players were at the stain showing off the trophy at HT. Does anyone know if they are due to come to S6 to do the same? And as Wednesdayites do you not think that we should forge closer links with other pro sports within the city? It seems that the Blunts do but I don't think that we do enough. Also there are now thousands of new students in the City, do SWFC do anything to get them to S6 as I'm pretty sure that the Blunts do special student deals. I just feel that the club is missing out on big opportunities to pull in "floating" support.

This summer I've been to see Sheffield Eagles Rugby League on a number of occasions, and a couple of weeks ago they won the Co -Op Championship title after beating Featherstone in the Grand Final. Yesterday the players were at the stain showing off the trophy at HT. Does anyone know if they are due to come to S6 to do the same? And as Wednesdayites do you not think that we should forge closer links with other pro sports within the city? It seems that the Blunts do but I don't think that we do enough. Also there are now thousands of new students in the City, do SWFC do anything to get them to S6 as I'm pretty sure that the Blunts do special student deals. I just feel that the club is missing out on big opportunities to pull in "floating" support.

Good post.

It always seemed to me that United have done more in this regard. Maybe they feel it necessary to do this otherwise their crowds would suffer more.

We have a bigger 'loyal' fanbase and also a bigger 'floating' fanbase. Maybe this is why we are a bit tardy in these kind of things but it would be a smart move to entice students for a start.

It is well documented that Sheffield is number 1 in the country for students staying in the area after their education so to get them hooked would be a good thing.

I'm pretty sure one of the reasons United are having financial difficulties is due to the amount of non-full paying attendees since the Prem. It just doesn't add up and is biting them on the arse.

UTO!

I agree to a point - sporting links and commercial links are separate but may be connected dependent on the outcome. McCabe, due in part to his commercial background, has been good at both for the pigs over the last 10 years, even though we've joked that he was unashamedly hijacking others; Sheffield FC, Pele, oldest proffesional ground, eagles etc. It wasn't a surprise to me that the Five-live October fest five-a-side was at United’s academy at Shirecliffe - how many times did the presenters on 5-live mention SUFC yesterday.

Maybe the powers at Hillsborough don’t see any benefit. I had thought that we offered the same student discounts as them but unsure of the details. The proximately of BL may be a factor in a student’s decision to attend games in the city, although I would expect the attractiveness of the higher league should give us the advantage – maybe offer free tram travel as part of the deal?