martin taylor

Guest Massiveowl

Guest kiltonowl

Last defender who was dissmissed and called cr*p just few games into his Owls career was Michael Morrison. He did quite well since his move to Charlton, and was even selected in League One 'Team of The Year' if I'm remembering it right.

Give him bit of time, as he proved he is a class Championship defender.

The thing with Morrison..he was young.

Martin Taylor does not have potential.. he has ability that will decline the older he gets.

Im not saying he will not turn it around but the big thing for me is we have 4 lumbering defenders, 3 of them are over 32. Surely we should have complemented Gardner and Llera with a real prospect such a (i hasten to say) Baath. I reallly dont understand why DJ doesnt fancy him..young, good reader of the game, reasonably quick. He was also a good lad in the dressing room by all accounts which is an issue for me now..the cameradrie that we had last year seems to have disipated with too many new signings.

The thing with Morrison..he was young.

Martin Taylor does not have potential.. he has ability that will decline the older he gets.

Im not saying he will not turn it around but the big thing for me is we have 4 lumbering defenders, 3 of them are over 32. Surely we should have complemented Gardner and Llera with a real prospect such a (i hasten to say) Baath. I reallly dont understand why DJ doesnt fancy him..young, good reader of the game, reasonably quick. He was also a good lad in the dressing room by all accounts which is an issue for me now..the cameradrie that we had last year seems to have disipated with too many new signings.

My point was that they both proved they are good players, but needed bit of time, and support from us fans to fit in like we hoped they would.

I still believe that Taylor will prove as a big player for us.

Guest @DSapeyOwl

I think people need to give him more time before starting to call him stuff like that...

He has only played a couple of games.

Madness.

This

I think Taylor will prove to be a class leader for us. I agree that it was way too soon to give him the captaincy but he has a lot on PL experience and the Watford fans were sad outraged to see him go. Keep the faith with him. Him and Llera will be awesome come 2/3 games

This

I think Taylor will prove to be a class leader for us. I agree that it was way too soon to give him the captaincy but he has a lot on PL experience and the Watford fans were sad outraged to see him go. Keep the faith with him. Him and Llera will be awesome come 2/3 games

I think that you may be right about Taylor. Watford were gutted to lose him. I'm not saying this would be deserved on current form but long term I think that injuries permitting Gardner will be a first choice CB.

Guest @DSapeyOwl

I think that you may be right about Taylor. Watford were gutted to lose him. I'm not saying this would be deserved on current form but long term I think that injuries permitting Gardner will be a first choice CB.

I think after a while they'll all be good for a solid game and have good cover. It could be argued that Beevers was unlucky to lose his place in the starting XI cause to be fair he hadn't done a great deal wrong compared to most-Pecnik, Barkley etc

if Llera didn't score goals I'd sincerely doubt people would keep banging on about him as if he's our frigging saviour.

seriously, with have a massive issue with underdogs and wanting to creating fan favorites out of players the management clearly don't see as being in their current first team plans.

Also, why the heck do we only compare things on goals and glory things like corner taking and freekicks.

For instance, if taylor would have score no one would bang on about a mistake which wasn't that bad and should have been resolved a number of times in the seconds following it by any number of our players. but in reality when something is done right and well even, few people will comment on it, they will only comment if it goes wrong or well above expectations.

PS: there is a reason why llera has never commanded any transfer money in his career, never played in the championship for blackpool and was released from his contract before it was half up so we could get him for free in league 1... he's a league one player.

Guest Leeswfc3

**** off about Taylor, nobody cares wheteher you think he's w4nk based on a couple of games.

Its not based on a few games, he's been playing football ages, and he ain't up to it, FACT

Guest @DSapeyOwl

if Llera didn't score goals I'd sincerely doubt people would keep banging on about him as if he's our frigging saviour.

seriously, with have a massive issue with underdogs and wanting to creating fan favorites out of players the management clearly don't see as being in their current first team plans.

Also, why the heck do we only compare things on goals and glory things like corner taking and freekicks.

For instance, if taylor would have score no one would bang on about a mistake which wasn't that bad and should have been resolved a number of times in the seconds following it by any number of our players. but in reality when something is done right and well even, few people will comment on it, they will only comment if it goes wrong or well above expectations.

PS: there is a reason why llera has never commanded any transfer money in his career, never played in the championship for blackpool and was released from his contract before it was half up so we could get him for free in league 1... he's a league one player.

Bold-I disagree

Corner taking in our squad, these days, is a glory thing. Llera is the only player in our team who can beat the first man, and takes a good free kick too. IMO Llera should be tried as a midfielder, albeit in the place of Semedo/Mccabe as he'd be the same type of player but I see his distribution, corners, free kicks and his goal scoring ability as a major asset to the team.

Yeah he was released from Blackpool but we didn't rate Michael Morrison but look at him now, one of Charlton's best players and was in team of season last season. I think he won their player of the season too if I'm not mistaken.

What I'm saying is if a player doesn't fit in at one team doesn't mean he is a bad player, it just means he doesn't fit a certain style of play. Perfect examples are Billy Sharp and Shevchenko, Both class at DRFC and AC Milan respectively but when Sharp was at United he never got a look in and when Shevchenko was at Chelsea he was a £30m flop but was awesome for Milan and Ukraine.

Corner taking in our squad, these days, is a glory thing.

oh god that sounds sad :( but we can't keep a player in the side for his freekick abilities. it's not hockey.

What I'm saying is if a player doesn't fit in at one team doesn't mean he is a bad player, it just means he doesn't fit a certain style of play. Perfect examples are Billy Sharp and Shevchenko, Both class at DRFC and AC Milan respectively but when Sharp was at United he never got a look in and when Shevchenko was at Chelsea he was a £30m flop but was awesome for Milan and Ukraine.

I get what you mean, but and maybe the style of play is dictated by the league we are in, and llera doesn't fit in because of that?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't. I believe it all depends on the style the manager chooses but at this level rather than league one we need more speed and stamina in the team and the only players with speed-JJ Antonio and Rodri get tired after 60-70 mins cause they've been running about for over an hour.

Back to my Sharp and Shevchenko comparisons Sharp was in the same league when he went on loan to DRFC and scored for fun during his first loan spell and Shevchenko was in the CL with Milan and scoring for fun in that then he moved to Chelsea and couldn't his a bull's @rse with a banjo

PS: I don't think michael morrison did that wrong for us... I think our problem back then was a lack of a reserve team to help fringe players out and get a bit more match fitness.

He was dire v Peterbrough at home when they beat us 4-1/2? and never got a loo in after that, based on one game, I know!

Guest kiltonowl

Defenders are judged on their mistakes, thats what make the difference, im not going to frikkin rave about a simple interception that my 2 year old could have made. I play CB and know when we concede a goal, it could usually have been avoided had everyone been organised and doing there jobs.

And Franny Jeffers commanded many a large transfer fee and played in the EPL....does that make him a quality player?

Back to my Sharp and Shevchenko comparisons Sharp was in the same league when he went on loan to DRFC and scored for fun during his first loan spell and Shevchenko was in the CL with Milan and scoring for fun in that then he moved to Chelsea and couldn't his a bull's @rse with a banjo

I suppose that could be different managers being able to get different things from the same player.

We have to trust DJ, he knows Llera and he will have been given the stats (he talked about how he was costing us too many goals so far this season).

If we've changed our style of play to suit this step up in leagues and Llera doesn't fit, then so be it, maybe he could make good in another championship team, but honestly, I feel his level is league one (always happy to be proven well and truly wrong tho!)

I think after a while they'll all be good for a solid game and have good cover. It could be argued that Beevers was unlucky to lose his place in the starting XI cause to be fair he hadn't done a great deal wrong compared to most-Pecnik, Barkley etc

Hopefully Beevers will continue his rehabilitation with us and play about 20 odd games this year as Gardner won't play every week. For a CB he's still a youngster. I reckon that DJ sees him as just behind Gardner and Taylor. He'll learn from them..... when they both settle in. I hope that he has a long future with us.

im not going to frikkin rave about a simple interception that my 2 year old could have made.

I presume your 2 year old is a six foot odd beast with a bit of speed and good footwork then... feel sorry for your lady, hope she recovered from that birth.

seriously tho, 1 mistake vs doing everything else right should hit the headlines like it does in this forum. we expect too much of CB's (hold the wall and score from 30 yards even). expectations are a bit of a joke for us these days in general.