Big match revisited itv4

Watched it last night it was the semi-final at Highbury - I record them all (anorak). I'd forgotten how much of that game we had - close to the end we'd had 10 corners to Brighton's 4. I'd also forgotten quite how bad David Mills' perm was, how good the Garys Bannister and Shelton were (both in my top 10 Wednesday players), how low budget TV football was in those days - especially enjoyed the Man Utd montage of photos from the other semi - and how often Ron Atkinson said the word "situation" - it means chance apparently.

After it I watched a couple more matches - Everton going top of the league in front of 29,000 at Goodison with an Andy King hat trick against Bristol City and a Birmingham-Leeds game featuring the *** end of the legendary Leeds side - Madeley, Eddie Gray and Harvey - and the new poo poo one, Carl Harris, Tony Currie and Byron Stevenson. The Leeds game in particular was depressing - awful pitch, awful surroundings.

I don't remember football being that drab - I think TV just didn't capture the magic of it very well compared to modern day big budget productions. You really appreciate the pace of the modern game and the fitness and skill levels when you watch old football. Balls and pitches help a lot I suppose. And really weird seeing goalies without gloves on - they were a wet weather thing weren't they? How we laughed at Sepp Maier and his silly big gloves.

Edited by rickygoo

I lived in Cornwall at the time of that match. Arriving on St. Erth station in the morning there was one other lad on the platform who came over and said "are tha gooin all't way?" By the time we got to Plymouth there must have been 400 obvious Owls fans on the train!

I lived in Cornwall at the time of that match. Arriving on St. Erth station in the morning there was one other lad on the platform who came over and said "are tha gooin all't way?" By the time we got to Plymouth there must have been 400 obvious Owls fans on the train!

I can't remember much about the game - I can remember having a blue and white flat cap, being on the North Bank and Ante scoring but much of the rest of it is a blur. I can also remember disliking Mills and Heard - although Heard had a brilliant swerving long range shot that nearly went in.