Now The Dust Has Settled - A Reflection - Defence Not Problem?

Morning all. Now my anger thas finally ended here is my reflection on the game.

Defence was NOT the main problem last night - laugh all you want !!! Whilst nobody can hide behind the fact our defence has been garbage, apart from the second goal, Huddersfield DID NOT trouble us all night long. The two penalties both debatable (first one is always 50/50 wether a ref will give it or not), apart from that did Kirkland have a save to make? No. We had 22 shots on goal, a good 5/6 where we should have scored. The midfield was a problem last night and its probably time for Semedo to have a "rest". Not happy with him at all, aside from the fact he has been consistently below average, giving up the captaincy represents a serious problem for me.

Dave Jones has issues with his best 11, injuries are not helping for sure. This is no time for the ridiculous calls for his head. The atmosphere last night was very flat for the first time in ages, you could feel the tension in everyone. We need to do what we do best, what we are good at, and become that 12th man again for the Bolton game.

I totally lost it last night, for the first time in years, all because of the refeering. I was effing and jeffing (loudly) throughout the game, whats worse is the fact that I had my 6 year old daughter at the side of me. Not good at all. Well upset about that. We had fans fighting between themselves, one guy had a 3 inch gash to his head from an assault by another owl. This is not what we are about, there is passion yes, but sometimes like myself last night, we need to remember we are their to SUPPORT Wednesday.

Bolton is a new start for us on Saturday, Dave Jones needs to pick a teamm where there are no players playing out of position, he needs to get the balance back. We don't become a bad team over a few games, remember Birmingham, the football was awesome that first 45 minutes, we can do it.

For me the starting 11 on Saturday should be something like this:

Kirkland

Buxton (if fit, if not Lee)

Gardner (if fit, if not Llera)

Taylor

Reda (probably goes against my comment above of playing players out of position)

Antonio

Barkley (don't lt him take corners though)

McCabe

Pecnik

Rodri (in the hole beween midfield / striker)

COG

Over to you. We Are All Wednesday !!!

You say calls for Jones's head are ridiculous but then go on to complain he's playing players out of position and then pick his team for him on Saturday?

Facts my friend,he IS playing players out of position!!, does that mean there should be calls for his head? Negavity in a response yet again. And the team is MY preference, do you think Dave Jones is gonna read this and say "Righteo lad, you picked the team, I will go with it". I can only assume you got out of the wrong side of the bed.

Facts my friend,he IS playing players out of position!!, does that mean there should be calls for his head? Negavity in a response yet again. And the team is MY preference, do you think Dave Jones is gonna read this and say "Righteo lad, you picked the team, I will go with it". I can only assume you got out of the wrong side of the bed.

I was just pointing out the apparent conflicts in your post, which suggest it may be you who got out of the wrong side of the bed? You are effectively picking a side for a manager you claim shouldn't have his future questioned.

Edited by Almat

I was just pointing out the apparent conflicts in your post, which suggest it may be you who got out of the wrong side of the bed? You are effectively picking a side for a manager you claim shouldn't have his future questioned.

I can only get out on side as unfortunately I have a lump of a wife on the other side lol.

Saying that he should play players in their correct positions is not questioning his future is it though, its just a statement. For me Dave Jones is the best manager we have had since Big Ron (not difficult I know), and I have EVERY faith in him for this season. When/If we have all our players injury free, we have a top 8 squad without fail. As for picking his side, this is something us fans on Owlstalk do week in week out on here. Just a question for you, do you think that is the best side he could put out on Saturday?

Think a lot of fans just can't handle disappointment very well - We're all disappointed obviously but some of the calls for who ever to be dropped and who ever to come in are a bit daft imo. It's going to take a while - players won't always play well and we will get beaten but i think DJ is a sound manager and we have to trust his judgement - He has a job on to sort out the mental attitudes of some of the team and to teach them how to cope with the impatience of the home crowd and the expectations.

That being said i was disappointed with Mattocks sending off..

I said in the bizarre thread last night that midfield was where the problem was at. We just didn't seem to command that area, and when we were threatened it was when udders counter attacked and the midfield were no where to be seen, leaving holes all over the place. Mattock was constantly being drawn across to the middle of the park leaving masses of space on the right. We could have been punished a lot more if it hadn't been for a bit of luck

No chance i'd drop JJ for Pecnik, the problem last night was work rate it just wasn't there.

Your right about Kirkland not having much to do I thought all in all it was a poor game but their keeper didnt have nuch to do either 22 shots and how many were on target. The defence was to blame for the 2nd goal striker got between the 2 centre backs, I also feel that we were far to slow at the back not saying the other defenders we have are quicker but we just looked sluggish.

Barkley should never be allowed to take a corner again he was worse than Darren Potter. I also thought he should have been subbed instead o f semedo.

Guest Bald Owl

It opened just as I was going to start my rant, leaving it while this morning, agreed with the stats bit but that defence last night was quite possibly one of the most disorganised I have ever seen at S6 with 2 of the worst defenders I have ever seen. Mattock was awful, sending off aside but that in itself was very poor for a pro footballer my 9 y/o knew that the Hudders player was gonna dive if he came near him and with a minute to go to half time then starting with 11 for the second half we'd have killed them we were on top big time. If he'd have let him go past he had nobody up with him. And Taylor, all I can say is flipping jesus how bad is he! 5 yards off pace and can't jump, is it a weight issue? Makes Rob Jones look like Vidic

I really hope Barkley's loan deal doesn't contains a clause where he has to play a certain amount of minutes per game but I'm suspecting it might given his reputation and the fact Moyles wants him to gain experience at a lower level. That immediately restricts your options.

Guest JonTheOwl66

In all honesty, we had the chances to win the game. First Pecnik and then Reda. We hit the bar.. And had other chances which I can't remember exactly....

We had more than enough chances to win that game, daft I know but I put a tenner on 5-3 Wednesday to win. It should have been that! lol

Mattock really was a disgrace last night, but playing him out of position does not help. Would he make a better left back I don't know. It was quite ironic that my mate who is a big West Brom fan, texted me before the game and said playing Mattock is a mistake let alone playing him out of position. His words were something along the line of "he's the most useless c**t ever to put on a Brom shirt".

1. Saying that he should play players in their correct positions is not questioning his future is it though, its just a statement. For me Dave Jones is the best manager we have had since Big Ron (not difficult I know), and I have EVERY faith in him for this season. When/If we have all our players injury free, we have a top 8 squad without fail. As for picking his side, this is something us fans on Owlstalk do week in week out on here. 2. Just a question for you, do you think that is the best side he could put out on Saturday?

1. But it effectively is, isn't it? Did you tell Jones who to play at any time during the unbeaten run?

2. I personally wouldn't start Barkley but suspect we may have to due to the terms of his loan. Which would be a problem for me. I would also include Llera every time he's fit in THAT defence. Amazingly, and embarrassingly, he's also on current evidence a far better purveyor of the dead ball than Barkley.

Edited by Almat

1. But it effectively is, isn't it? Did you tell Jones who to play at any time during the unbeaten run?

2. I personally wouldn't start Barkley but suspect we may have to due to the terms of his loan. Which would be a problem for me. I would also include Llera every time he's fit in THAT defence. Amazingly, and embarrassingly, he's also on current evidence a far better purveyor of the dead ball than Barkley.

No fella, its questioning his decision making NOT his future.

In regards to Barkley, the Everton fans are saying he should be in THEIR starting 11 not ours, says something about the lad. Hopefully we will see what he is all about. Llera I agree but his defending has been suspect (as all our defenders as). If we needed an emergency central midfielder (which we don't) he would be a good shout. He does have a good cross and pass on him but again like Reda we can't play these guys for their attacking abilities. Llera & Reda is like having two extra midfielders on the pitch. The pitch is only big enough for one of them IMO.

Guest tha_knows

The gaps we were leaving in midfield were unbelievable, Norwood and Clayton had so much time on the ball it was embarrassing, you could just see where the next pass was going. But for me it was the defence last night, when we resorted to long ball was even worse, Bothroyd didn't win a thing in the air yet we continually pumped it up to him. Summed it up when late on they got that throw in, the kid just threw it straight to the lad unmarked on the edge of the box, not one of our defence switched on, luckily Pecnik got in a blocked him. And Il say it again like I did last nyt how Mark Beevers became a professional footballer is beyond me.

No fella, its questioning his decision making NOT his future.

In regards to Barkley, the Everton fans are saying he should be in THEIR starting 11 not ours, says something about the lad. Hopefully we will see what he is all about. Llera I agree but his defending has been suspect (as all our defenders as). If we needed an emergency central midfielder (which we don't) he would be a good shout. He does have a good cross and pass on him but again like Reda we can't play these guys for their attacking abilities. Llera & Reda is like having two extra midfielders on the pitch. The pitch is only big enough for one of them IMO.

And if his decision making after the next 3-4 matches left you with questions would you then question his future?

We looked disjointed, slow and at times clumsy...The first pen...there was no need for the challenge....the second...well being on the Kop it looked like ball to hand if owt....and you sometimes get them you sometimes don't...Our corners free kicks and crosses were poor...but we were going to get results like this...this season...its a step up and you get away with next to nowt....call for Jones's head are laughable...give it time and he will get it right...its just not there yet

And if his decision making after the next 3-4 matches left you with questions would you then question his future?

If we got another 4 defeats on the bounce then yes I would as I am sure most of us including MM would. No team should lose 7 games on the trot no matter what league they are in and who we are playing.

Brighton aside this season we could and probably should have only had that one defeat. Even that at 1-0 down, Barkley had a great save made against him, could have been different, and again we matched them but had no quality at the back.

How many did we lose on the bounce before the decision was made to sack Megson ? I'm not calling for DJ to be sacked because thats ridiculous at this stage, I was wondering that's all.

Not sure but didn't he win 3 of the last 10 games he was in charge? This is what posters seem to be forgetting with MM, he's a proven manager sacker when things look like they are starting to go wrong. we were 3rd in the league when Megson got his marching orders. I'm not stating that's right or wrong (although his record of making money from footie when most chairmen don't suggests he knows what he is doing) but it's an unarguable fact.

Edited by Almat