Birmingham

I live in Brum so happy to offer a bit of advice. What kind of place do you want? Friendly full of fans of a certain age and real ale drinkers, or lager and chanting? Or somewhere in between?

Bit of both really mate they could be mid 20s to 60s with us so either or both.

Are these boozers home, away or mixed and are they near to the ground and/or trainstation? Cheers.

I'll be meeting my in-laws - Birmingham supporters but friendly in the Wellington before the game:

www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk

Always seems to have friendly football fans in there regardless of who's playing. On the same road, there's a Wetherspoons and a pub called the Sun on the Hill with a big screen and sport. All decent and no real aggro. They are slightly the other way from the station than St Andrews though. 5-10 minutes walk from both New Street and Moor Street.

St Andrews is desolate, Digbeth is the closest area on the way up some great Irish pubs but home fans only usually so I'd be careful on matchday. The Lamp is slighlty off the beaten track, it's where I'll be after the game I think:

http://www.viewbirmingham.co.uk/pubsandbars/lamp-tavern-review-36214.html

They're usually friendly to home and away fans alike.

Hopefully you'll be early enough to avoid the mass police presence that always seems to be in New Street station on match days - and can make your own way about town. If I was you, I'd stay central until 2:00pm or so, then get the train or bus up to St Andrews - goes direct from Moor Street.

Hope that all helps, give me a shout if you want more of a guide!

Guest gingerowl1

I'll be meeting my in-laws - Birmingham supporters but friendly in the Wellington before the game:

Always seems to have friendly football fans in there regardless of who's playing. On the same road, there's a Wetherspoons and a pub called the Sun on the Hill with a big screen and sport. All decent and no real aggro. They are slightly the other way from the station than St Andrews though. 5-10 minutes walk from both New Street and Moor Street.

St Andrews is desolate, Digbeth is the closest area on the way up some great Irish pubs but home fans only usually so I'd be careful on matchday. The Lamp is slighlty off the beaten track, it's where I'll be after the game I think:

Hopefully you'll be early enough to avoid the mass police presence that always seems to be in New Street station on match days - and can make your own way about town. If I was you, I'd stay central until 2:00pm or so, then get the train or bus up to St Andrews - goes direct from Moor Street.

Thanks for all that info. Will defo head to that area if there are a few options of pubs to go in. There are 8 of us so plan was to get a taxi to the ground anyways.

ok cheers mate. Thanks for the advice. UTO WTID

Guest Big Guns

I live in Brum so happy to offer a bit of advice. What kind of place do you want? Friendly full of fans of a certain age and real ale drinkers, or lager and chanting? Or somewhere in between?

roughest place in town so i can splat sum zulus.

Guest Big Guns

try the Dubliner in Digbeth then. There's been the odd murder and the wholem place burnt down a few years back due to some gangland related feud i think. Should keep you entertained at least.

cheers mate will i see you in there 4 one.

Thanks

My son lives in Perry Bar so probably collect him first, but if parking near the ground is near impossible I may get the train to Moor Street, meet him there then get the local train to whatever the station is for St Andrew's.

Or I guess I could do the driving bit, park multistory in the centre then train from Moor Street

Choices, choices

Edited by OxonOwl

Thanks

My son lives in Perry Bar so probably collect him first, but if parking near the ground is near impossible I may get the train to Moor Street, meet him there then get the local train to whatever the station is for St Andrew's.

Or I guess I could do the driving bit, park multistory in the centre then train from Moor Street

Choices, choices

Loads of trains from Moor St on matchdays up to St Andrews - Bordesley is your stop.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/birmingham_city/train.htm

If you're going from Perry Barr could always get the train from there. New Wetherspoons next to Perry Barr station is good for a pint or two as well