Clarification re season tickets

Guest ReginaldBlinker

Guest ReginaldBlinker

I'm trying to summarise here what Lee said last night at the forum:

- Most transfers of major players are verbally agreed before the end of the season and are then completed when the players come back from their holidays. You therefore need to have an idea what you'll be able to spend by the end of April/May - otherwise you might miss the boat and sign a load of leftover crocks.

- Selling loads of season tickets in the summer results in a load of cash coming in too late to take advantage of the above. The trouble with this is that you can't forecast how much money you're going to have so you can't plan to attract the best players.

- The other problem with getting a load of cash in one go is that people get tempted to spend it because it is there and it ends up getting spent based on a short term, rather than a long term view.

- Anyone running a business would prefer the income for the year to come in steadily month by month rather than all in one go. Business costs are paid monthly so lumpy income gives cash flow issues.

- Considering all the above, the ideal situation for the club is that:

1 - everyone commits to a season ticket asap so we have an idea what we can offer to the better players towards the end of the season.

2 - but they pay for it over a few months - this helps the cash flow of both the club and the supporter. I can tell you for definite that people seeking to invest in companies prefer steady, regular income to lumpy income.

So, what Lee seems to be saying is that by committing early, you help the club to have the confidence in having funds entice better players whilst spreading the payments to the benefit of both you and the club. Committing early doesn't necessarily mean paying it all earlier.

If you have a problem with this, then that is fine and totally your choice but it would help if you could renew earlier as outlined above.

If you are waiting to see what league we will be in first, does that assume that you will turn your back on the club and desert a sinking ship if we go down? Again, your choice but is definitely wont help the club.

If you are going to renew anyway, what reason is there not to renew?

If anyone has an issue with the above, maybe they can explain why? Not having a go at all, it'd just be interesting to understand why.

- Most transfers of major players are verbally agreed before the end of the season and are then completed when the players come back from their holidays. You therefore need to have an idea what you'll be able to spend by the end of April/May - otherwise you might miss the boat and sign a load of leftover crocks.

Signing "the cream of the crop" Purse and Miller on big money contracts early in pre-season last year worked a treat, didn't it

Guest ReginaldBlinker

Signing "the cream of the crop" Purse and Miller on big money contracts early in pre-season last year worked a treat, didn't it

Thus proving the point. If we knew we'd got more cash to spend at that point, we may have gone for someone else?

Also, are you not going to renew then because of two signings? A bit drastic isn't it? We're screwed if everyone took that attitude!

Big Ron signed some crap players and we didn't all give up did we? Its a wonder there are any fans at Old Trafford after some of Fergie's signings.

Can't we let the past go and look forward to next year?

We have no chance until the poisonous attitude is dropped and we all commit to building our club up again.

Regards

Lee

Thus proving the point. If we knew we'd got more cash to spend at that point, we may have gone for someone else?

Also, are you not going to renew then because of two signings? A bit drastic isn't it? We're screwed if everyone took that attitude!

Big Ron signed some crap players and we didn't all give up did we? Its a wonder there are any fans at Old Trafford after some of Fergie's signings.

Can't we let the past go and look forward to next year?

So hang on a minute.

Purse and Miller were hailed as "cream of the crop"

BUT

Now they are symbolic of everything that was wrong with how the club operated.

Altering history as we see fit

Guest ReginaldBlinker

So hang on a minute.

BUT

I happen to think that Purse is turning out to be a decent signing and Miller hasn't been able to prove himself. I was adopting Alan's perspective in order to answer his question.

Even if I did think they were crap signings, what I am saying is that we may have had better options if the club had received more season ticket money at the stage that we signed them last year.

Again, even if they are crap, what good does it do to slag & completely write them off now in the midst of a battle to stay up? As I said to Alan, is dissatisfaction over two signings going to turn you against the club forever? Not a good reason not to renew is it? If the club gets one thing wrong then we hold it against them forever?

Guest ReginaldBlinker

So hang on a minute.

BUT

Let's be clear then. You think that it is ok to not renew your season ticket early for the reasons set out in the OP because we made two poor signings based on the old system the previous season. The early renewal system is designed to prevent it happening again!

Do you understand?!!! :blink:

I was merely making the point that getting in there to sign players asap isn't the be all end all. Brian was touching himself about his "cream of the crop" signings last year, and although Purse has improved lately they've both turned out to be a waste of money. Throwing a large chunk of our wage budget at a couple of ageing and average Championship players was never going to be the wisest decision, in fact Miller barely made the starting XI even when he was fit.

As for your comments about not renewing, what are you on about? I've had a season ticket for 30 years, and will be renewing this year no matter what division we're in or how uninspiring the new signings are.

Guest ReginaldBlinker

I was merely making the point that getting in there to sign players asap isn't the be all end all. Brian was touching himself about his "cream of the crop" signings last year, and although Purse has improved lately they've both turned out to be a waste of money. Throwing a large chunk of our wage budget at a couple of ageing and average Championship players was never going to be the wisest decision, in fact Miller barely made the starting XI even when he was fit.

As for your comments about not renewing, what are you on about? I've had a season ticket for 30 years, and will be renewing this year no matter what division we're in or how uninspiring the new signings are.

Fair enough mate!

Guest Sheff Owl

I know it might be an ideal situation for the club for you to buy your ST over a few months BUT i would rather just sort it out in one go, it's easier and better for me.

We have no chance until the poisonous attitude is dropped and we all commit to building our club up again.

Regards

Lee

respect for last night lee and if half the doubters on here cacn,t or wont see the honesty and truth in what you,nick and the club are trying to do its a sad sad day for all suporters of our club .

keep up the good work the majority are with you. from a wendnesday supporter of 51 years .well done