Watford away - train disruption

Not a strike, but engineering works on Saturday 21st mean there is only 1 EMR train per hour to and from St Pancras, and they are going a diverted route meaning a 3 hour journey time.

Probably best to travel on LNER to Kings Cross or the West Coast to Euston if you're planning to go via London on the train.

You can also go direct from Birmingham to Watford junction without needing to go into the capital.

Yeah, it's been like this at weekends for a while now between Sheffield and London. East coast line via Doncaster or Retford to Kings Cross is still running normally.

I'm going by train, never been to Watford by rail before. In fact I haven't been to Watford at all since about 1990, sadly the walk through the allotments to the away end is no more! Having a mini London awayday first, but what's the best way to get to the ground from central London? It can be done by tube but probably takes the best part of an hour, and apparently you can also get there on a normal train service from Euston, quicker but looks like you probably have about 10 minutes further to walk at Watford.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Yeah, it's been like this at weekends for a while now between Sheffield and London. East coast line via Doncaster or Retford to Kings Cross is still running normally.

I'm going by train, never been to Watford by rail before. In fact I haven't been to Watford at all since about 1990, sadly the walk through the allotments to the away end is no more! Having a mini London awayday first, but what's the best way to get to the ground from central London? It can be done by tube but probably takes the best part of an hour, and apparently you can also get there on a normal train service from Euston, quicker but looks like you probably have about 10 minutes further to walk at Watford.

The fast trains to Watford Junction are only 18 minutes from Euston, then the ground is a 25 minute walk.

The Tube or Overground to the nearer Watford and Watford High Street stations take 45 minutes to an hour so still works out quicker to get the train then walk

• Thanks 1

Should be great fun on the trains tomorrow due to weather disruption, and the conditions not forecast to ease until tomorrow morning.

Sheffield-St Pancras services currently suspended due to flooding between Derby and Chesterfield.  LNER on the east coast line look to have several delays as well.  I'm going via Doncaster tomorrow which currently looks OK, but after heavy rain all day today who knows...

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Should be great fun on the trains tomorrow due to weather disruption, and the conditions not forecast to ease until tomorrow morning.

Sheffield-St Pancras services currently suspended due to flooding between Derby and Chesterfield.  LNER on the east coast line look to have several delays as well.  I'm going via Doncaster tomorrow which currently looks OK, but after heavy rain all day today who knows...

m8 it looks like we are going nowhere , grantham newark line is blocked no trains running until 6pm from doncaster to london but that will be extended for rest of day and prob even tomorrow . the rain will ease by 11pm tonight with lighter rain for tonight . according to sheffield weather online which does live weather totals we will probably reach our wettest day recorded by 5-6pm with still the evening to go . i wish there is some optimism but it really looks dire . 

11 minutes ago, Hyde2005 said:

m8 it looks like we are going nowhere , grantham newark line is blocked no trains running until 6pm from doncaster to london but that will be extended for rest of day and prob even tomorrow . the rain will ease by 11pm tonight with lighter rain for tonight . according to sheffield weather online which does live weather totals we will probably reach our wettest day recorded by 5-6pm with still the evening to go . i wish there is some optimism but it really looks dire . 

Yep, it's looking fecked now!  Even if conditions improve overnight services will be all over the place tomorrow as trains and crews will be in the wrong place etc.

Coaches sold out as well. Wonder if it's possible to return match tickets to Hillsborough tomorrow and still get a refund, train fares will be reimbursed if cancelled but we're still stuck with the £36 match tickets.

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

Yep, it's looking fecked now!  Even if conditions improve overnight services will be all over the place tomorrow as trains and crews will be in the wrong place etc.

Coaches sold out as well. Wonder if it's possible to return match tickets to Hillsborough tomorrow and still get a refund, train fares will be reimbursed if cancelled but we're still stuck with the £36 match tickets.

i doubt it . and no way am i driving there and back . it could be worse it could be today and we could be stranded there with an absolute nightmare trying to get back and id guess hotel prices would be though the roof with so many stuck down there 

it says you can use train tickets today on any other line to try to get to destination but i doubt not going via doncaster like i was too and going to tamworth or birmingham then to watford junction will be an option either with the line bocked between sheffield and derby 

10 minutes ago, alanharper said:

I once got a full refund from the ticket office on the day of the match when trains were cancelled to Bristol due to the snow. Might be worth giving them a call. 

6 minutes ago, Hyde2005 said:

it says you can use train tickets today on any other line to try to get to destination but i doubt not going via doncaster like i was too and going to tamworth or birmingham then to watford junction will be an option either with the line bocked between sheffield and derby 

Cross Country services are affected as well so even getting to Birmingham may not be an option