State Of Play

The result three Sunday’s ago was like a dagger through the heart. It is not just that we lost to the “dark side” it was the manner of that defeat. I have rarely seen or read about such a poor performance from the Blue and Whites. I console myself that it was a good job we were playing the Blunts. If it had been a decent side it could have been a cricket score. But I may be deluding myself, the blunts are far from a "pub side" as this site often refers to them. After that to lose 1-0 to a Birmingham side that was in complete disarray just topped off 4 great days in the history of SW. Then comes our 3-0 thumping of Leeds and has normal service been resumed? Seems not. We get beat by a Bolton side who were struggling to buy a goal, never mind a win.

People can moan about “offside” goals that should have been allowed and goals that were offside that were allowed. But you know that a team is in trouble when the manager blames all the ills of the club on the referee. The only thing that matters is the score in the ref’s book at the end of 90 minutes (+ injury time of course). The “bad decisions” should have made no difference to the results. If we are serious promotion contenders we should have enough to beat struggling sides like Birmingham, Bolton and Burton, irrespective of an odd bad decision by the ref. We have now gained 4 points from an available 15 from the last 5 games. That is relegation form. We are now 4 points behind where we were after 12 games last season so there is now already a steep incline to climb. Not quite a mountain, but with no obvious wins coming down the line, going in that direction, I fear.

I read that we make good players bad. I see that Winnall has set Derby alight since he has been there. 1 goal in 5 or 6 games, some as sub, granted, but if he was that good he would have started every game surely. Not exactly scintillating, is it? For me we have generally bought badly.

Finally, for all those baying for CC blood I would advise you to save your breath and energy (IMO) and put it into supporting your club. I reckon CC will be at S6 until the play offs are not mathematically possible. At that point, I believe, the Chairman will part company with CC, not before. The worry is what will he do if we fail in the play offs again, give the guy another season? I personally think he should be given the rest of this season to see what he achieves. If promotion proves impossible then thank you and good night. It would make no sense to sack him now. A new gaffer gives no guarantees of success and commits more money from an already stretched budget.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Anstonian said:

The result three Sunday’s ago was like a dagger through the heart. It is not just that we lost to the “dark side” it was the manner of that defeat. I have rarely seen or read about such a poor performance from the Blue and Whites. I console myself that it was a good job we were playing the Blunts. If it had been a decent side it could have been a cricket score. But I may be deluding myself, the blunts are far from a "pub side" as this site often refers to them. After that to lose 1-0 to a Birmingham side that was in complete disarray just topped off 4 great days in the history of SW. Then comes our 3-0 thumping of Leeds and has normal service been resumed? Seems not. We get beat by a Bolton side who were struggling to buy a goal, never mind a win.

People can moan about “offside” goals that should have been allowed and goals that were offside that were allowed. But you know that a team is in trouble when the manager blames all the ills of the club on the referee. The only thing that matters is the score in the ref’s book at the end of 90 minutes (+ injury time of course). The “bad decisions” should have made no difference to the results. If we are serious promotion contenders we should have enough to beat struggling sides like Birmingham, Bolton and Burton, irrespective of an odd bad decision by the ref. We have now gained 4 points from an available 15 from the last 5 games. That is relegation form. We are now 4 points behind where we were after 12 games last season so there is now already a steep incline to climb. Not quite a mountain, but with no obvious wins coming down the line, going in that direction, I fear.

I read that we make good players bad. I see that Winnall has set Derby alight since he has been there. 1 goal in 5 or 6 games, some as sub, granted, but if he was that good he would have started every game surely. Not exactly scintillating, is it? For me we have generally bought badly.

Finally, for all those baying for CC blood I would advise you to save your breath and energy (IMO) and put it into supporting your club. I reckon CC will be at S6 until the play offs are not mathematically possible. At that point, I believe, the Chairman will part company with CC, not before. The worry is what will he do if we fail in the play offs again, give the guy another season? I personally think he should be given the rest of this season to see what he achieves. If promotion proves impossible then thank you and good night. It would make no sense to sack him now. A new gaffer gives no guarantees of success and commits more money from an already stretched budget.

So we keep limping on and the fan base losing faith with the club. Breaking every other clubs bad runs etc etc. At what point do you think we should start to looking at changing the direction we are heading at present. Its not a case of baying for CC's blood, we are trying to save our club from free fall and no one person is bigger than the club. 

Seeing as you brought up the blunts,  There still not a single player from that side I'd want in out team. I still think they are bang average. I mean come on, Leon Clarke has had more clubs than Sergio Garcia ffs. What they do have though is a squad of players prepared to run through brick walls for their manager. A manager who is getting more out of them than the common sum of their ability. Again, we lack that. That's why a change is needed before its too late. You can spend money and be successful, just look at how Wolves were last night. Difference was they scored and went for the jugular, we would have defended for our lives and sat on the lead. 

That down to the mentality of the manager. Changes are needed, and now.

1 minute ago, CLswfc said:

So we keep limping on and the fan base losing faith with the club. Breaking every other clubs bad runs etc etc. At what point do you think we should start to looking at changing the direction we are heading at present. Its not a case of baying for CC's blood, we are trying to save our club from free fall and no one person is bigger than the club. 

Fully agree that one person is not bigger than the club and all should be applauded for trying to save the club. Having said that the club is in a way better position than it was prior to Manderic taking the helm. So save it from what? However, success is not a God given right to SW the same as most of the other clubs in the league. I am just saying that maybe whilst the league is in progress get behind the team. The end of the season is the time to show your approval/dissatisfaction.

1 minute ago, marshy said:

Seeing as you brought up the blunts,  There still not a single player from that side I'd want in out team. I still think they are bang average. I mean come on, Leon Clarke has had more clubs than Sergio Garcia ffs. What they do have though is a squad of players prepared to run through brick walls for their manager. A manager who is getting more out of them than the common sum of their ability. Again, we lack that. That's why a change is needed before its too late. You can spend money and be successful, just look at how Wolves were last night. Difference was they scored and went for the jugular, we would have defended for our lives and sat on the lead. 

That down to the mentality of the manager. Changes are needed, and now.

I think we would all take "bang average" as you say, for 3rd in the league right now.

1 minute ago, Anstonian said:

Fully agree that one person is not bigger than the club and all should be applauded for trying to save the club. Having said that the club is in a way better position than it was prior to Manderic taking the helm. So save it from what? However, success is not a God given right to SW the same as most of the other clubs in the league. I am just saying that maybe whilst the league is in progress get behind the team. The end of the season is the time to show your approval/dissatisfaction.

I dont think anyone can doubt the support CC and DC have been given through the fan base and to an extent ticket sales including ST's. Im not talking about success Im referring to the obvious direction we are going in at the moment. We have one of the strongest squads in the league yet going though each game struggling, win, lose or draw..  If you read my comment I did actually say 'save our club from free fall' Im sure you know what that means. 

28 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

Our morale is certainly low at the moment, set off yesterday in good spirits with my 2 80yr old neighbours, broke my heart to see them so dejected after the game, wish the highly paid players had as much passion as them

4 hours ago, Frazzlebeak said:

Stopped reading at The lol

Given the amount of negativity on this site by many, you know like demanding CC head when a pass goes astray and that sort of thing, trying to whip up discontent amongst the fans. It makes me wonder if there are a lot more blunts operating on this site than people realise. So, as they say on Dragons Den, I'm out. Sadly, I will continue to support the Owls without the use of Owlstalk. 

Just now, Anstonian said:

Given the amount of negativity on this site by many, you know like demanding CC head when a pass goes astray and that sort of thing, trying to whip up discontent amongst the fans. It makes me wonder if there are a lot more blunts operating on this site than people realise. So, as they say on Dragons Den, I'm out. Sadly, I will continue to support the Owls without the use of Owlstalk. 

:ghoulguy: