RIP Derek Wilkinson

Oh no,  this is so sad,  he was a good friend of my dad,  he used to come round,  pick us up and take us to the match and home again afterwards.  My dad would always offer to pay for the petrol,  but Derek would have none of it.  My dad started to be ill and couldn't make it too many games after the mid 60's, he died in late 1967. Derek,  and his brother,  Eric, (who played 1 game for Wednesday) were real gents,  I have fond memories of playing football with them on the Sandhills,  true gents always treated us kids with respect.  

RIP Wednesday legend,  I will never forget the kindness shown to my family. 

30 minutes ago, Stalybridge Owl said:

Oh no,  this is so sad,  he was a good friend of my dad,  he used to come round,  pick us up and take us to the match and home again afterwards.  My dad would always offer to pay for the petrol,  but Derek would have none of it.  My dad started to be ill and couldn't make it too many games after the mid 60's, he died in late 1967. Derek,  and his brother,  Eric, (who played 1 game for Wednesday) were real gents,  I have fond memories of playing football with them on the Sandhills,  true gents always treated us kids with respect.  

RIP Wednesday legend,  I will never forget the kindness shown to my family. 

What a treasured memory mate. Condolences to you, but good to hear that such a gentleman is part of your heritage.

• Like 2