Have we exceeded expectation?

To finish in the top half with this squad would be a decent achievement. I thought we'd struggle this season but end up finishing 14th.

We've been between 8th and 15th for much of the season so to finish around 10th-14th would probably be a fair reflection of our season as a whole.

I've been critical of Gray and questioned whether he's the right man to take us forward. In all fairness I haven't been on my own in this respect. I have to say he's done a far better job than I thought he would so he has proved me wrong to a certain extent so far. This next year is the make or break one for me. Can he handle the expectations that there will be on the back of this season and the bigger budget he's more than likely to have at his disposal?

I would be more than happy for him to prove me wrong but unfortunately I do have my doubts?

Position wise we have hit just about where I thought we would be. The fact that we have had a little flirt with the play offs just teases us into thinking what might have been. There have been causes and effects with the approach of Gray , and the focus on a tighter defence. It's been a transitional season player recruitment wise, so I tend to look at it the terms of 'you can't have your penny and your bun'

Positives - 

* Tighter defence meaning we have picked up enough points in games that we might have lost by the odd silly goal to ensure we never looked in any danger of relegation. 

* Good recruitment in that defence , With Westwood and Lees turning out to be to very good Championship players

* Impressive performance by the manager, showing good tactical decision making and communication with players.

Negatives -

*  No goals from defence. An absolutely astonishing statistic. This is the ying and yang of where our focus has been. We have lost the calamitous defensive play of Reda Johnson and Miguel Llera for example, but not replaced the goals they have scored. It would take a trawl through the opta stats if there are any to establish whether they scored more goals than they cost us last season.

* No effective midfield or forward loan or permanent signings. No Connor Wickhams or Leroy Litas this year. Not even a Benik Afobe or Sanchez Watt. The signings of May and Bus simply haven't worked out as yet, and left us scratching our heads wondering what we have to do to find and effective goalscorer. Without the signing of McGugan we would have had nothing to make us sit up and watch. Throughout the season it has been obvious we need two decent wingers and at least one striker that could hit the ground running ( no pun on Maguire) . May and Bus may come good next season, but it's worrying that Gray is talking Nuhui up for next season already.

Edited by Bannofan

18 points lost when we have taken the lead home and away.

16 of those in the last 15 minutes of the game.

Excludes possible points from games like Bolton away and Huddersfield away.

Failing to capitalize when we are ahead - fitness levels, concentration levels, not taking chances to put the game out of reach & game management all contribute.

I will conveniently ignore phases in the game where it's like the Alamo but IMO its not all down to the strikers but that could have bought us breathing space. 

Apart from Watford, Citeh, Fulham, Wolves & Norwich, we have competed and haven't been really been torn a new one goals wise - Fulham and Norwich we conceded at the end of halves to give us a hike back into the game.