Its all so quiet...

Its been a while...

Almost three years (27 February 2012) since Wednesdayite were prosecuted under the Industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965, fined and ultimately stripped of the IPS status they held.

https://www.fca.org.uk/static/fca/documents/societies-prosecuted-2012.pdf

Two years since we're led to believe that Wednesdayite directors were informed of the issue by a member who read it in a newspaper, in January 2013 (and neglected to inform members/prospective members of the issue whilst continuing to trade on the same basis, using the same articles and continuing to promote itself as an IPS for c.18 months after even this)

Almost 6 months since members were eventually informed, the new company set up and promises made as to looking into the situation with solicitors/appropriation of funds from the old company to the new one (including funds paid or donated to specific causes or for specific services under the guise of being an IPS) and communicating those findings.

...Is there an update? Is the house in order? Nothing on the website that everyone is continuously told to check...

The importance of having a well run supporters trust/organisation is of particular relevance now. What if it turns out that whoever the new potential owners are they are absolutely crooks or have some nefarious scheme behind their purchase of the club (not saying this is the case or ever will be the case, but at this stage, who knows)? Who/what group are going to mobilise and stand up for the fans if it is the case?

Guest Deleted member

The members received an update email on this on the 28th November?

Are you not a member?

The newsletter content is freely available on the Wednesdayite website?

Another attack, DJ.

You really don't like them?

Not an attack, just facts reposted in the quest to seek fundamental information. In fact, I have purposefully laid off and haven't mentioned it for some time.

The members received an update email on this on the 28th November?

Are you not a member?

The newsletter content is freely available on the Wednesdayite website?

I've seen that newsletter. It doesn't update on the situation at all.

In fact, it reaffirms that a promise was made to investigate the issues and "put the organisation back on track," and that Darryl Keys is still "looking into the legal and other matters surrounding the loss of IPS status" (is Darryl the right person to do such a significantly important task, seeing as he is thousands of miles away and in a hugely different timezone? That can't be the best way of co-ordinating the issue, surely?). There's no real, tangible update on the matter.

Not really.

As I previously said:

I've seen that newsletter. It doesn't update on the situation at all.

In fact, it reaffirms that a promise was made to investigate the issues and "put the organisation back on track," and that Darryl Keys is still "looking into the legal and other matters surrounding the loss of IPS status" (is Darryl the right person to do such a significantly important task, seeing as he is thousands of miles away and in a hugely different timezone? That can't be the best way of co-ordinating the issue, surely?). There's no real, tangible update on the matter.

Plus even that update is six weeks old in itself...

Guest Deleted member

You may be aware of a number of products that make dealing with matters internationally much much easier. These include computers, the internet, email and telephones.

in my opinion someone like Darryl is an absolutely perfect choice to deal with something like this, given that his distance doesnt allow him to contribute to operational functions of the organisation, and that he has the necessary acumen to deal with these matters professionally. 

Out of interest, what kind of timelines do you think would be reasonable for dealing with this? And what experience of such matters can you personally point to in order to qualify your opinion.

Nice sarcasm there, very becoming.

No argument that Darryl has the acumen to do the job, just pointing out that that the time difference will most likely contribute to delays all round in comparison to someone in the same timezone as the people and organisations that need to be consulted.

In terms of timelines, definitely less than the three years since the original organisation was prosecuted, certainly less than the two years since the original organisation was notified by a surprised member (and seemingly didn't do anything about it), and most surely less than the six months since members were informed and a newco set up, probably even less than the six weeks since the last pitiful update.

Its hardly the Leveson inquiry.

Out of interest, what timelines do YOU think are reasonable (and what experience might you have to qualify that, bearing in mind that you were chairman when the organisation were informed of the issue - almost a full year after the organisation were prosecuted, which happened under your stewardship - and members weren't informed for c.18-months or so beyond that...)? 

Guest Deleted member

I think the sarcasm is entirely warranted given your continued attacks on an organisation and its volunteers that you aren't even a member of, consistently fail to contact directly for answers to your questions, ignore contact made directly to you by those volunteers in answering your various points, and continue to post your questions and thinly veiled attacks on here despite having been advised (numerous times) that those volunteers will not be engaging on Owlstalk any further (mostly as a result of your own approach).

Florida is 5 hours behind the UK - meaning by my reckoning 4 hours per day of time that can be utilised for any discussions (should they need to be made in person). Thats 20 hours per week. Approximately half the average persons working week. Emails and other correspondence dont rely on Darryl to be out of bed.

You haven't answered my question. What personal experiences do you have in order to dictate or suggest what you think are acceptable timelines for the matter to be resolved and reported on?

Edited by Deleted member

If by attacks you mean posting objective facts and questions on a public forum, which is what a public forum is for, then sure. You yourself have used this forum for such things many times in the past (and absolutely defended the right for people to do so). Indeed, if this was something the club had done several years ago, rather than Wednesdayite partially when you were involved, you would be the first one in the queue posting questions on here about it.

I have chosen not to contact directly because I don't think that would be very productive for several reasons, plus this is an open forum and a place for discussion. Its very purpose. Its an important issue that should be open and others should know the answers to rather than placating individuals. I know for a fact these posts are read by those involved, because they have indicated to me that they are reading them. Board members of Wednesdayite have indeed posted on here several times since their own self-imposed ban (they are all welcome to post at any time, no one is stopping them), so that argument doesn't wash. By the way, are you saying that it is because of me that Wednesdayite board members are not posting on Owlstalk? Really? Are they really that scared of me typing words and asking questions?  :huh:

The Wednesdayite board members don't have to post on here for us to discuss Wednesdayite, just like the SWFC board/players don't have to post in the match day section for fans to discuss SWFC and players, so that is a moot point too. I happen to think that it would be much more productive for Wednesdayite board members to post and debate the topics at hand, personally. And they are absolutely welcome to (and I would be the first to welcome them), nobody is stopping them but themselves. Perhaps some of the topics would have been addressed and forgotten about by now if they did constructively contribute? Its their decision however and up to them, fair enough.

Any contact which has been personally abusive towards me (including the childish calling of names, which isn't very fetching for those supposedly in responsible positions) and aggressive (including threats), which has been every single (unsolicited) communication directed privately at me, has, rightly, been ignored. In the interests of keeping the debate civil I haven't called anyone out on this, haven't mentioned it publicly and have just ignored it, but it seems you are wanting to out it by referring to it yourself (nice bit of collusion and gossip there, it seems)? I'll be bigger than that though. The only people making this personal, and being overly aggressive, and 'attacking' are ironically those connected who for some reason are entrenching themselves into a defensive position that seems like they are just trying to hide something. Why not just debate the topic and not personalities, eh? 

Anyway, back to the discussion and not petty personal stuff and mud slinging. I'm not interested in that. I'm simply interested in Sheffield Wednesday having a valid and relevant supporters organisation that recognises its mistakes, fixes its issues and moves on with integrity and under the guidance of capable and responsible people.

So... Is there an update? When can we expect an update? Is anything actually being done? Are things being brushed under the carpet?

About time this sub-forum was closed down.

TBH I couldn't give a hoot what has happened anymore.

Hope Paul and Jeff spend anything left on a proper Vegas trip with hookers, the full hit.

A bit of payback for a lot of thankless time and effort.

A very long post. And still no answer to the question.

As I said, I have no interest in petty personal digs, which your question is clearly aimed at. 

Would you like to debate the actual topic now?

The ones unprepared to give credit are generally the ones who aren't members

We've gone through the member/non-member debate dozens of times in this sub forum and frankly it is a pathetic deflectionary argument (and proven as such before).

• Are SWFC fans not allowed an opinion, or to ask questions, if they are not season ticket holders?
  • If you have questions of a political party, do you have to join that political party before you can ask any questions?
  • If you oppose a supermarket building nearby, do you have to buy products from that supermarket before being allowed to raise your concerns?
  • Etc, etc...

Would you like to debate the actual topic now?

Edited by Deejayone

Guest Deleted member

It wasn't a dig at all. You're the one suggesting that it's taking too long.

I just wondered on what personal experiences you are basing that judgement

Regards the other point, I wasn't saying you're not allowed an opinion, if you're not a member. I was suggesting that the ones who are most critical of the organisation tend not to be members.. I think I could legitimately put FACT after that. But I won't.

Maybe that's why they aren't members. It's not really any concern of mine any more

Guest Deleted member

Ok, if it suits you to pretend it was a dig, I will bow to your paranoia and leave the discussion there.

You keep asking questions of Wednesdayite on a forum that Wednesdayite don't engage in.

I might start using it to ask a few questions of Nigel Farage

Ok, if it suits you to pretend it was a dig, I will bow to your paranoia and leave the discussion there.

You keep asking questions of Wednesdayite on a forum that Wednesdayite don't engage in.

I might start using it to ask a few questions of Nigel Farage

Come on... Read it back. You entered this thread (indeed came back to the site you previously flounced from :biggrin:  - welcome back, by the way) specifically to have digs, and have done so several times despite hypocritically stating I am the one launching attacks. 

Wednesdayite do and have engaged in the forum, even after their self-imposed exile (and it is their choice whether to or not, no one is stopping them from putting the facts straight on here but themselves). We're going round in circles.

As said earlier, "You yourself have used this forum for such things [i.e. questioning SWFC, when they did not engage in it] many times in the past (and absolutely defended the right for people to do so)" - again, quite hypocritical.

​You've asked plenty of questions of political parties in threads in the past, so questioning Nigel Farage will be no different. The politics section is <<<< that way.  ;-) 

Now, can we actually get to debating the actual topic?!  :wacko:  :huh: