What's the worst ever managerial record at Sheffield Wednesday ?

In my lifetime Burtenshaw especially the disastrous 74/75 season. Went on a slump in the first half of the season winning just 4 games, but that was nothing compared to what came after Christmas. Just one win (away at Southampton) and four months without even bloody scoring!

Just re-checked the stats for that season. From the new year in 17 games we scored just twice! 25th Feb away at Fulham - lost 2-1 and then 19th April at home v Oxford 1-1 draw.

Out of those 17 games we managed to draw just three of them and lost the other 14. Mathematically our fate was sealed at Forest on April 1st with five games still to play and we finished bottom 11 points adrift of the next team and 12 points adrift of safety (it was just two points for a win in those days).

A more abject season and collective effort from those wearing the blue and white stripes has never been seen. To say that we went down without even the pretence of a fight doesn't even begin to cover it, you have to have been there to witness it to even begin to understand and Burtenshaw being at the helm was fully responsible.

Strange as it may seem it was that run that really built our away following. Yeah home crowds fell off alarmingly but the faithful grew in number at our away games as nobody wanted to miss the elusive goal or away win.

We didn't win a league game the next season, it was the following season on 16th October 76 that Jeff Johnson gave us a 1-0 win at Reading and Sammy got shown the door for over celebrating. 

The away followings that season were sometimes pretty shambolic too Nev. I was at the Forest game where relegation was confirmed and we only took two official coaches. I suspect that nobody wanted to be there the night relegation was confirmed.

Following season had some great away days and huge followings (about 5,000 to Bury on Boxing Day, similar number to Charlton in FA Cup and places like Millmoor, Saltergate and Mansfield, couple of thousand each to places like Wrexham & Brighton) but again for some of the night games very poor (Shrewsbury that season think we just took a couple of hundred and Preston maybe 500).

we took a lot to hull for the last game ,i can remember knighton leading the team over before the start to applaud them ........my rememberance of the season was that the day we sold tommo was the day we were relegated ..

That combined with the fact we didn't sign Eric McMordie. He played only 8 or 9 games for us and finished up leading scorer for the season on 6!