In Milan we TRUST

I find myself wondering if this is not a function of analysis but one of personality. It would be interesting to see if the posters saying that Jones should be sacked are largely the same group that did the same as soon as Sturrock, Laws, Irvine and Megson's results started to falter? Oh sure, they can point to this transfer, or that formation, or that tactic, or that selection to create the illusion of some kind of deep thought, but that level of criticism is the easiest thing in the world to indulge in if you're predisposed to do so. Whatever the manager hasn't done is always the solution and can be kept going indefinitely.

It seems to me that it didn't used to be like this. Is it a consequence of the increasing pace and impatience of modern society? We have social networks giving our rants a potential audience of millions within seconds, the ability to influence live TV shows, movies on demand, more leisure activities than we've ever had before etc. The more we have, the more we want and the faster we demand it. And this inexorably squeezes out more considered logic as old fashioned, irrelevant or derided. There's no time to think. Come on, you must have an opinion. Make a decision and do it NOW, NOW, NOW.

The post makes 100% sense, apart from the fact that if you question a signing you want DJ out, if you question tactics you want DJ out, if you question team selection you want DJ out, in fact if you dare to question him at all, you are a boo boy who wants him sacked, thats simply not the case,

If you question why some fans blindly accept all the mistakes without asking questions, we are told we havent got a coaching badge, dont the people on here so opposed to anyone having an opinion different to the managers realise that 80% of being a football fan is the after match moans and groans, the "i'd have done it like this brigade" we all used to put the game right in the first hour in the pub after the game, or the trip back from away, for christs sake the radio programme thats been running since before most of these people were born is called praise or grumble, they should get a clue about the game in Sheffield from the title.

I think you would be surprised at how many people actually want him sacking, questioning his decisions and wanting him gone are two very different things , the clappers who never leave their houses need to understand the mentality of the guy who tramps round the country doing what they wish they had the bottle to do, yes we all think we could do a better job than the gaffer at times, thats been the case since time began, doesn't mean we want him sacked though

Edited by scarboro-owl

I find myself wondering if this is not a function of analysis but one of personality. It would be interesting to see if the posters saying that Jones should be sacked are largely the same group that did the same as soon as Sturrock, Laws, Irvine and Megson's results started to falter? Oh sure, they can point to this transfer, or that formation, or that tactic, or that selection to create the illusion of some kind of deep thought, but that level of criticism is the easiest thing in the world to indulge in if you're predisposed to do so. Whatever the manager hasn't done is always the solution and can be kept going indefinitely.

It seems to me that it didn't used to be like this. Is it a consequence of the increasing pace and impatience of modern society? We have social networks giving our rants a potential audience of millions within seconds, the ability to influence live TV shows, movies on demand, more leisure activities than we've ever had before etc. The more we have, the more we want and the faster we demand it. And this inexorably squeezes out more considered logic as old fashioned, irrelevant or derided. There's no time to think. Come on, you must have an opinion. Make a decision and do it NOW, NOW, NOW.

But the fact is if every poster on every internet discussion forum was as bland as you what would be the point of them? Why be so afraid of being proved wrong? The person who has never been proved wrong is the person who has never offered a true opinion. We all know you have a default position in your head as to how long YOU think this run should continue before DJ deserves to go so why not break the habit of a lifetime and go for it? Go on, be a devil. I bet there'd be no stopping you once you got over that first hurdle...

Edited by Almat

The post makes 100% sense, apart from the fact that if you question a signing you want DJ out, if you question tactics you want DJ out, if you question team selection you want DJ out, in fact if you dare to question him at all, you are a boo boy who wants him sacked, thats simply not the case,

If you question why some fans blindly accept all the mistakes without asking questions, we are told we havent got a coaching badge, dont the people on here so opposed to anyone having an opinion different to the managers realise that 80% of being a football fan is the after match moans and groans, the "i'd have done it like this brigade" we all used to put the game right in the first hour in the pub after the game, or the trip back from away, for christs sake the radio programme thats been running since before most of these people were born is called praise or grumble, they should get a clue about the game in Sheffield from the title.

I think you would be surprised at how many people actually want him sacking, questioning his decisions and wanting him gone are two very different things , the clappers who never leave their houses need to understand the mentality of the guy who tramps round the country doing what they wish they had the bottle to do, yes we all think we could do a better job than the gaffer at times, thats been the case since time began, doesn't mean we want him sacked though

You are of course quite right about presumptuous and arrogant complaining being an inherent part of the football supporter experience. We all do it to one degree or another. People are obviously entitled to have their opinions about who should be at left back, what formation we should play or that we should have made a substitution earlier. By no stretch of the imagination am I suggesting that such whinging should be prohibited or that it indicates a total rejection of everything Jones does. But by the same token, those still supportive of the manager are no more guilty of 'happy clapping' which is just as lazy and inaccurate an assumption.

My rants however, are aimed at those who have explicitly called for the manager to get the elbow or have set an arbitrary and witless target for him to avoid it in the next x number of games.

But the fact is if every poster on every internet discussion forum was as bland as you what would be the point of them? Why be so afraid of being proved wrong? The person who has never been proved wrong is the person who has never offered a true opinion. We all know you have a default position in your head as to how long YOU think this run should continue before DJ deserves to go so why not break the habit of a lifetime and go for it? Go on, be a devil. I bet there'd be no stopping you once you got over that first hurdle...

If you could take a breather from relentlessly machine-gunning me with baseless speculation about what I'm thinking and why, perhaps you might like to reflect on the possibility that there might be an inverse relationship between the depth of your insistence and it's accuracy?

Yeah, I've got a very specific deadline in mind but I'm terrified that some people I've never met might poke fun at me.

:laugh:

If you 'know' what this target is, would you be kind enough to let me know because my mind refuses to even process such a feckless notion?

:dry:

You are of course quite right about presumptuous and arrogant complaining being an inherent part of the football supporter experience. We all do it to one degree or another. People are obviously entitled to have their opinions about who should be at left back, what formation we should play or that we should have made a substitution earlier. By no stretch of the imagination am I suggesting that such whinging should be prohibited or that it indicates a total rejection of everything Jones does. But by the same token, those still supportive of the manager are no more guilty of 'happy clapping' which is just as lazy and inaccurate an assumption.

My rants however, are aimed at those who have explicitly called for the manager to get the elbow or have set an arbitrary and witless target for him to avoid it in the next x number of games.

See thats exactly what i mean about people not understanding what others are saying, i said the clappers who never leave the house, i never mentioned supporting DJ, who says i dont support DJ as manager, so now who made the lazy and inaccurate assumption, to me the posts of someone who never even goes to the game are worthless,

And what does it matter if someone says on here he wants the manager sacked? you dont think it matters do you, its a fans forum, Milan wont check and think he better get shut cos we are moaning, you want to stop aiming your rants at anyone if you arent going to bother reading what they've put before going off on one. DJ will go when MM decides, not you me or anyone else, in the meantime we can have a grumble if we like, and speculate as to whats going to happen, thats how the bookies make their coin by the way, we dont need anyones permission