The Wednesday - Team 1875-76

Guest swfc cuttsy

Charles Clegg was a strict teetotaller and non-smoker. He also had a deep religious conviction. His favourite quote was "nobody ever gets lost on a straight road". He was known to frown on those who drank before matches and also disliked gambling. He feared that professionalism would be a corrupting influence on the game and fought a losing battle against it throughout his administrative career.

Despite this he was more broad-minded than people expected. He understood that players sometimes had to 'rough it'. He also had a sharp wit. During a disciplinary meeting, where a young player had been brought before him for ungentlemanly remarks to a referee, Clegg asked what had been said. The player responded, "Well, I said 'I've poo poo better referees'". "I see," said Clegg. "All right, I'll tell you what I'll do. I'll give you a week to prove you can do just that. But if you can't, I'm afraid you'll have to pay a £1 fine"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Clegg_(footballer)

Dont EVER mess wi the Cleggs!!!! :biggrin: Brilliant pic mate....ive a postcard given to me by my Grandad with the Wednesday side from 1908 (ish) on it...he'd written the players he recognised on the pic in pencil on the back...Ive put it somewhere 'safe' .. but cant bloody remember where...must find it and get it copied up on here!!!...

Edited by Prendo's boots