Wednesdayite Subscription and PayPal

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

Today I received this e-mail - Is it genuine or is it a phising one? Does Wednesdayite, once you have suscribed, annually go back to Paypal for their subscription fee automatically, as with a Direct Debit?

I didn't know that Paypal had a repeat 'direct debit' facility? In addition, if they do then I currently have an active funding source with Paypal so the claim is also wrong.

If it is false then how do the scammers know that I am a member of Wednesdayite?

Finally - how do I know (if it is false) when I need to renew my annual Wednesdayite subscription and how do I renew?

I hope the above makes sense.

Any advice?

Dear XXXXX,

The payment for your subscription to Wednesdayite Full Membership £5.00 Promo failed because you do not currently have a back-up funding source for your instant transfer payment.Wednesdayite has been notified of this failed payment.

We will try to make payment again on 7 May 2011.

To correct this problem, you must update your funding source to be a debit or credit card.

Please change the funding source for this Subscription by clicking this link and following the steps below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_subscr-find&alias=payments@wednesdayite.com

1. Click the link above to go to log in and go to your Subscription Details.

2. Under 'Subscription Funding Source' choose a credit card funding source from one of the drop-downs.

If there are no other funding sources available, add a new credit card:

3. Click the 'Profile' subtab

4. Choose the 'Credit Cards' link from the Financial Information column

5. Click 'Add'

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new credit card to your PayPal account

After adding a new credit card, follow steps 1 and 2 above to change your subscription funding source.

Subscription Details

Amount: 5.00 GBP

Date of payment failure: 4 May 2011

Date of next payment attempt: 7 May 2011

Subscription Name: Wednesdayite Full Membership £5.00 Promo

Subscription Number: S-5J816764WK0291109

Item Number: WEDSMEMFULL5

The following options were included with this Subscription:

Contact Information

Business Name: Wednesdayite

Contact Email: payments@wednesdayite.com

Contact Phone: +44 8450091867

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.

Société en Commandite par Actions

Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg

RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PPID PP253

Hi,

I wonder if anyone can help?

Today I received this e-mail - Is it genuine or is it a phising one? Does Wednesdayite, once you have suscribed, annually go back to Paypal for their subscription fee automatically, as with a Direct Debit?

I didn't know that Paypal had a repeat 'direct debit' facility? In addition, if they do then I currently have an active funding source with Paypal so the claim is also wrong.

If it is false then how do the scammers know that I am a member of Wednesdayite?

Finally - how do I know (if it is false) when I need to renew my annual Wednesdayite subscription and how do I renew?

I hope the above makes sense.

Any advice?

Dear XXXXX,

The payment for your subscription to Wednesdayite Full Membership £5.00 Promo failed because you do not currently have a back-up funding source for your instant transfer payment.Wednesdayite has been notified of this failed payment.

We will try to make payment again on 7 May 2011.

To correct this problem, you must update your funding source to be a debit or credit card.

Please change the funding source for this Subscription by clicking this link and following the steps below:

https://www.paypal.com/uk/cgi-bin/?cmd=_subscr-find&alias=payments@wednesdayite.com

1. Click the link above to go to log in and go to your Subscription Details.

2. Under 'Subscription Funding Source' choose a credit card funding source from one of the drop-downs.

If there are no other funding sources available, add a new credit card:

3. Click the 'Profile' subtab

4. Choose the 'Credit Cards' link from the Financial Information column

5. Click 'Add'

6. Follow the on-screen instructions to add a new credit card to your PayPal account

After adding a new credit card, follow steps 1 and 2 above to change your subscription funding source.

Subscription Details

Amount: 5.00 GBP

Date of payment failure: 4 May 2011

Date of next payment attempt: 7 May 2011

Subscription Name: Wednesdayite Full Membership £5.00 Promo

Subscription Number: S-5J816764WK0291109

Item Number: WEDSMEMFULL5

The following options were included with this Subscription:

Contact Information

Business Name: Wednesdayite

Contact Email: payments@wednesdayite.com

Contact Phone: +44 8450091867

Yours sincerely,

PayPal

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright © 1999-2011 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal (Europe) S.à r.l. & Cie, S.C.A.

Société en Commandite par Actions

Registered Office: 5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg

RCS Luxembourg B 118 349

PPID PP253

They do have this facility.

I used to pay a monthly subscription through Paypal and it just came out on the same date every month with an email receipt from Paypal and a receipt from the company.

Not sure about the rest though and can't see why they'd ask for a funding source if your account is already up and running.

Sounds a bit dodgy.

They do have this facility.

I used to pay a monthly subscription through Paypal and it just came out on the same date every month with an email receipt from Paypal and a receipt from the company.

Not sure about the rest though and can't see why they'd ask for a funding source if your account is already up and running.

Sounds a bit dodgy.

I have a 'verified' account with PayPal and this is funded direct from my current account via Visa Direct Debit (not credit card). This is paid on demand.

I have checked the appropriate card and it doesn't expire until 2012.

I have checked my PayPal account and it is still 'active' and 'verified' with the card.

Having trawled through this section's history I found this thread. http://www.owlstalk.co.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=131280

I bet that the e-mail is genuine and was generated by Paypal after a request from Wednesdayite but I have no idea why it wasn't paid.

The account is active and the card is current.

I paid a donation into Grandad's charity swim last week and had no problems.

The e-mail is genuine.

I have used this to find active subscriptions (below). There is a subscription to Wednesdayite, but for some strange reason the last demand failed. It states that it will retry on the 7th May.

Haven't got a clue why this happened as the funding source is correct and is still in date (the card)?

I have just pressed 'update information' and I hope this cures it?

You can make changes to subscriptions from your PayPal account as follows:

From your History

1. Log in to your account at www.paypal.co.uk

2. Click 'History' near the top of the page.

3. Click the ‘More filters’ drop down menu, choose the 'Subscriptions and agreements' option and finally click ‘Subscriptions’.

4. Change the date, if necessary, and then click ‘Show’.

5. Click 'Details' beside the ‘Subscription Creation’ entry of the subscription you wish to view.

To change the funding source from this page:

1. Choose the preferred future payment option next to ‘Subscription Funding Source’.

2. Click 'Update Information' to save your changes.

To cancel the subscription from this page:

1. Go to the bottom of the page, click 'Cancel Subscription'.

2. On the confirmation page, click 'Cancel Subscription' again.

I have e-mailed Paypal, via my log in (internal) and asked them what the problem is.

The paypal subscriptions are more like standing orders than direct debits.

When you take out the subscription it sets up an annual payment which you can cancel at an time, but we cannot change/amend or cancel it.

The payment is therefore sent from your account to ours, whilst a direct debit sees us request the payment and take it from yours.

The email from paypal is genuine , without knowing the details I don;t know why the payment may have failed, however a common one is where you have had a new card in the year, with either a new number or expiry.

Paypal also seem to now want two funding sources, a verified bank account and a credit card, especially for Merchant accounts to cover them on chargebacks. Do you receive payments into your paypal account?

I have e-mailed Paypal, via my log in (internal) and asked them what the problem is.

The paypal subscriptions are more like standing orders than direct debits.

When you take out the subscription it sets up an annual payment which you can cancel at an time, but we cannot change/amend or cancel it.

The payment is therefore sent from your account to ours, whilst a direct debit sees us request the payment and take it from yours.

The email from paypal is genuine , without knowing the details I don;t know why the payment may have failed, however a common one is where you have had a new card in the year, with either a new number or expiry.

Paypal also seem to now want two funding sources, a verified bank account and a credit card, especially for Merchant accounts to cover them on chargebacks. Do you receive payments into your paypal account?

However a common one is where you have had a new card in the year, with either a new number or expiry.

Do you receive payments into your paypal account?

Thanks for the reply and help..

They have been in touch. They just say that I have to renew my funding source. They don't say why but the card was used recently and it doesn't expire until 2012. But it is newish, but they haven't highlighted this before.

I shall just have to 'renew' it - it seems.

No, I don't receive payments.

Paul