They didn't think it was an impossible task

Following a thorough recruitment process, involving a number of very strong candidates for the manager's position, the club is confident that they have secured the best possible candidate

While we had interest from a large number of candidates, and the calibre of those interested in the job was also very high

* So, there WAS other alternatives out there, contrary to popular belief.

* He was not the ONLY option, so the comments of "who else" need knocking on the head

* Lee selected this guy from a field of others

I believe the squad here at Hillsborough is more than capable of pulling away from the current situation at the bottom of the Championship

* Irvine surely didn't think it was a thankless task and that relegation was nailed on. He also didn't think, again, contrary to popular belief, that the squad he inherited was not good enough to stay in this division.............. why would he have took the job if this was true ?

It was essential for us to secure the best possible candidate to revive the team's fortunes this season

He is a high calibre manager, respected throughout football, who has proven he can make a team competitive at this level, and we feel very fortunate to have secured his services.

Lee didn't think it was a thankless task and that relegation was nailed on. He also didn't think, again, contrary to popular belief, that the squad Alan was inheriting was not good enough to stay in this division

So, Irvine MUST take a lot of the blame if we are to get relegated.

So must Lee. He appointed the man and assured us that he was the right man to save us

Did we really need Soares and Nolan, when it was clear our problems were upfront and creativity ?

Very true about a forward. We have known about it all season and yet we wasted loan oppurtunites as Varney was never going to be the answer.

Ai likes to play percentage football and have the midfield play deeper to help the defense. What he needed was a big daft idiot up front who could win headers and keep hold of the ball long enough for the midfield to catch up but we got Tom Soares instead, who must be flipping immense in training.

Very true about a forward. We have known about it all season and yet we wasted loan oppurtunites as Varney was never going to be the answer.

Ai likes to play percentage football and have the midfield play deeper to help the defense. What he needed was a big daft idiot up front who could win headers and keep hold of the ball long enough for the midfield to catch up but we got Tom Soares instead, who must be flipping immense in training.

How he started today is absolutely baffling

I really do not understand what Irvine sees in him

Or, is he having to justify his loan, plus financial outlay, by insisting on starting him, even when he has proven, on numerous occasions, he is useless

* He was not the ONLY option, so the comments of "who else" need knocking on the head

* Irvine surely didn't think it was a thankless task and that relegation was nailed on. He also didn't think, again, contrary to popular belief, that the squad he inherited was not good enough to stay in this division.............. why would he have took the job if this was true ?

Lee didn't think it was a thankless task and that relegation was nailed on. He also didn't think, again, contrary to popular belief, that the squad Alan was inheriting was not good enough to stay in this division

So must Lee. He appointed the man and assured us that he was the right man to save us

Did we really need Soares and Nolan, when it was clear our problems were upfront and creativity ?

You really are one dumb rumbleer!

What did you expect LS to say? "They were all poo poo but he was the best turd"?

AI? "I've inhereited a bunch of goons, and the drop is nailed on, soz"?

ME ME ME ME ME

lee was spinning...what sort of chairman would come out and say we're struggling to get anyone, seems that they all think it's a managers graveyard, a poison chalice, a pig (sorry down at the lane) in a poke without investment...he had to paint the best picture possible and remain positive...the only reason i think we failed was at the time irvine was shoring up the backline with better tactics, and more onfield support, was that we didn't go into the loan market and grab a couple of forwards and a decent midfield passer of the ball...

Edited by dnhc

Big Malc you have totally missed the point

People come on here saying

Who else

Who else

Who else

It is clear, there were alternatives, the field of candidates was strong. The caliber of managers available to us was good

Lee got the decision WRONG.

Take a look how Plymouth and Peterborough did it when they appointed their managers when in the mire.

You will see the difference. They were honest to the fans.

Who else

Who else

Who else

It is clear, there were alternatives, the field of candidates was strong. The caliber of managers available to us was good

Take a look how Plymouth and Peterborough did it when they appointed their managers when in the mire.

oh don't make us have to mention terry curran and chris waddle...oh sorry forgot simon davey

so you're implying that Lee was lying then ?

in management it's not seen a lying, look at the political situation, do you think anyone of them is telling the truth...what about selliing your car private, or buying one for that matter...TRUTH or LIE, it was his job to do or say whatever it took to get the job done as best as possible...it's not lying, it's just not releasing all the facts...

Guest totemowl

Of course there was. We know some of the names: Terry Curran, Darren Ferguson,

Possibly Steve Cotterill, gary megson, Nigel Worthington.

Why? "who else" would be doing the job with the same constraints?

And following this logic who would have took or applied for the job if the squad they inherited was not good enough to stay in this division? Your logic would have resulted in us having no manager until, err,.. dear me.

Of course there was. We know some of the names: Terry Curran, Darren Ferguson,

Possibly Steve Cotterill, gary megson, Nigel Worthington.

Why? "who else" would be doing the job with the same constraints?

And following this logic who would have took or applied for the job if the squad they inherited was not good enough to stay in this division? Your logic would have resulted in us having no manager until, err,.. dear me.

worthington proberbly wasn't for real, lots on here didn't want megson (lets be fair lots everywhere don't want megson), ferguson was being lined up for the pne job...who were the others...cotterill maybe...and...how many AT THE TIME would have accepted colin.

Edited by dnhc

Who else

Who else

Who else

Then don't try and counter that by providing quotes that are of no relevance. What Strafford and Irvine said are exactly what I would expect them to say, whether they believed it or not.

Why the need for the quotes as if this is 'proof' that you were right?

Arguably you are right in your assertions anyway - picking the quotes as you have done and starting yet another thread about it is just attention seeking

And I'm going to go out on a limb here - I'm not going to do any googling, but I am pretty certain that neither Plymouth nor Peterborough said "We haven't got the manager we wanted, but this guy will have to do" or "The players at this club are complete gash and the only certainty at the end of the season is relegation"

A few weeks in, and you were saying you were wrong about Irvine, so what now? You were right at first, then wrong, now you're right again?

FFS