Quick quiz

Guest jimmyowl77

According to this:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5857117,00.html

Who were the 8? I can think of 3 Modest, Beevers and Lekaj

I think Sky are getting confused with a game where Laws named 8 players in the squad who'd come from the Academy

Richard Wood, Sean McAllister, Tommy Spurr, Mark Beevers, Nathan Modest, Richard O'donnell, Luke Boden, Liam McMenamin

Guest jimmyowl77

I think Sky are getting confused with a game where Laws named 8 players in the squad who'd come from the Academy

Richard Wood, Sean McAllister, Tommy Spurr, Mark Beevers, Nathan Modest, Richard O'donnell, Luke Boden, Liam McMenamin

May have got one of the above mixed up with Rocky, I can remember the game but can't remember who we played, think it was last season

Determined to blood new talent?! This has got to be some kind of a joke.

Spurr, Wood and McAllister were all nothing to do with Laws, thank flip they did break through into the first team or we would have had 3 more of Brian's signings instead, and we all know how well he judges a player.

O'Donnell has never played for us, and McMenamin was released having never played a league.

Beevers, Boden and Modest are the only 3 who have been given debuts under Laws, and Modest has a mighty 1 start and 3 subs appearances.

However all the above could be forgiven- some managers don't look to youth and that's fair enough.

What is beyond the pale is the way in which he has fooked the careers of Beevers especially, but also Boden as well. Beevers was looking to be an unbelievable prospect, but has had his confidence absolutely destroyed by the last management, and is a shadow of the player he was- this isn't just a case of '2nd season syndrome' which most young players have, but he has near ruined him as a player, and it is going to take very good leadership from Mr. Irvine to turn him into even an estabished championship player, never mind the premier league player he looked like he was going to be.

Boden was very much a victim to Laws' favourites- did well last season when ever he was called upon, and earned himself a 2 year deal... and then couldn't even get himself on the bench as Mr. Laws continued to persevere with a midfield which was clearly failing week upon week. If the squad this season had been picked on merit, rather than reputation, Boden would have been on the bench every week and had a crack at the first team.

Hopefully Alan Irvine will handle the academy much better than Brian Laws did- we have a number of promising 2nd year scholars who have a good chance at becoming first teamers, and if Irvine can handle them the right way we could have some real gems on our hands.

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

Guest Sheff Owl

Determined to blood new talent?! This has got to be some kind of a joke.

Spurr, Wood and McAllister were all nothing to do with Laws, thank flip they did break through into the first team or we would have had 3 more of Brian's signings instead, and we all know how well he judges a player.

O'Donnell has never played for us, and McMenamin was released having never played a league.

Beevers, Boden and Modest are the only 3 who have been given debuts under Laws, and Modest has a mighty 1 start and 3 subs appearances.

However all the above could be forgiven- some managers don't look to youth and that's fair enough.

What is beyond the pale is the way in which he has fooked the careers of Beevers especially, but also Boden as well. Beevers was looking to be an unbelievable prospect, but has had his confidence absolutely destroyed by the last management, and is a shadow of the player he was- this isn't just a case of '2nd season syndrome' which most young players have, but he has near ruined him as a player, and it is going to take very good leadership from Mr. Irvine to turn him into even an estabished championship player, never mind the premier league player he looked like he was going to be.

Boden was very much a victim to Laws' favourites- did well last season when ever he was called upon, and earned himself a 2 year deal... and then couldn't even get himself on the bench as Mr. Laws continued to persevere with a midfield which was clearly failing week upon week. If the squad this season had been picked on merit, rather than reputation, Boden would have been on the bench every week and had a crack at the first team.

Hopefully Alan Irvine will handle the academy much better than Brian Laws did- we have a number of promising 2nd year scholars who have a good chance at becoming first teamers, and if Irvine can handle them the right way we could have some real gems on our hands.

Could not agree more.

Absolute joke the way he dealt with the 'younger' player's.

It's a real shame what's happend with Boden, he might not be good enough but to play him all through Malta and then offer him a new deal and then let him turn into the invisible man was just great, Boden could have moved on and tried to sort himself out a career somewhere else and we saved some money on wages.

Could not agree more.

Absolute joke the way he dealt with the 'younger' player's.

It's a real shame what's happend with Boden, he might not be good enough but to play him all through Malta and then offer him a new deal and then let him turn into the invisible man was just great, Boden could have moved on and tried to sort himself out a career somewhere else and we saved some money on wages.

TBF Boden could have been no more than a cheap squad filler - happens at most clubs from the mid premier down

It's also too easy to blame Laws for the regression from Beevers - it may have been something to do with mismanagement but it was more likely that it happens with young players - their development is rarely a straight upward line on the graph

TBF Boden could have been no more than a cheap squad filler - happens at most clubs from the mid premier down

It's also too easy to blame Laws for the regression from Beevers - it may have been something to do with mismanagement but it was more likely that it happens with young players - their development is rarely a straight upward line on the graph

Treat a player like crap repeatedly, both in training and in front of the national media, and it won't simply be a dip in their development, it is likely to ruin them as a player, and that might well have happened with Beevers.

Beevers was picked on in training by both Laws and Wilcox, and constantly patronised by Wood- with a different manager and Hinds as his CB partner, things would have turned out a lot better IMO.

I think we're going to see a much better Mark Beevers from now on personally, and i think a lot of that will be down to the departure of Wood and Laws. (I know that sounds a lot like i'm the usual boo boy looking for a scapegoat.... but i really do think, for logical reasons, that they have to take some of the responsibility.)

Edited by TheBoyBeevers

I wouldn't say he was treated like crap in the media tbh - it's a part of living life in the glare of spotlights

What went on in training with the coaching staff and also with Wood i have no idea about tbh so can't comment on that aspect - if you have a good source that

has told you that then i respect that

Whatever...let's hope he does develop into a fine player

Yeah, I call bull.

If Mark Beevers' development as a player was being harmed as much as you're suggesting, then it's in his agents interest to get him moved asap.

Believe as you wish.

I'm not the type of poster who is reknowned for posting crap on here like others- i'm not claiming to be 'itk' on secrets etc etc

I'm just a guy who knows some of the academy lads, and goes to watch the players train from time to time- i think Laws going will be one of the focal points for Mark Beevers' long term career.

We shall see.