Was automatic promotion honestly acheivable?

Guest bagelybear

Although I still think we're lacking in a few areas, particularly pace in attack and physicality in midfield, I reckon automatic was realistic tbh.

Ultimately, the first few months of the season cost us. 

Loovens was out injured, it took Carlos until November to address the soft centre of Bannan/Lee, and by far the biggest  issue, FF's tantrum meant our best attacker wasn't fully focused and firing.

The Fulham game in November was the turning point. It was the first time Hutch had played in midfield. Then during the week, Carlos publicly declared that the real Forestieri was back. He wasn't wrong and FF was instrumental in one of our best away wins of the season at Wolves. 

Our record since the Fulham game reads...

P30 W17 D6 L7 Pts 57

That's very close to automatic if sustained over a season. 

Worth noting, that of those 7 defeats, 4 were without FF in the squad. 1 of which was the throw away Fulham home game and we had a bit of an injury crisis when losing to Villa and Reading.

For me, if we add some more steel in midfield and some pace in attack/wide areas, keep FF fit/happy/focused, we can challenge next season. 

I think some of the criticism towards Carlos, has been an absolute joke. Overall it's been a pretty turbulent season with various problems, yet he's still guided us to 4th position and 81 points.

10 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

Who are these teams you are talking about? Since Carlos has been here only Burnley, Middlesbrough, Newcastle and Brighton have finished in the top 2. Which one of those spent less than we did?

Admittedly I haven't got any evidence and if I am wrong I will hold my hands up.

But would say out of those clubs you mention Newcastle will have spent more.

Middlesbrough wage bill would have been about the same. Brighton I speculate would have been less and so would Burnley. 

With the players we had don't think finishing in the top 2 would have been out of the question but with everything considered as we did have a few injuries it would have been a big ask.

I would call 4th position with the resources we had as decent but not the fantastic and brilliant I have seen some people put. But I have to say at times the entertainment value was very low. Sometimes yes you do have to grind out results but we seem to set out to that nearly every game. And for the price of tickets and the players we have at our deposal I hope this is improved on next season.

13 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Admittedly I haven't got any evidence and if I am wrong I will hold my hands up.

But would say out of those clubs you mention Newcastle will have spent more.

Middlesbrough wage bill would have been about the same. Brighton I speculate would have been less and so would Burnley. 

With the players we had don't think finishing in the top 2 would have been out of the question but with everything considered as we did have a few injuries it would have been a big ask.

I would call 4th position with the resources we had as decent but not the fantastic and brilliant I have seen some people put. But I have to say at times the entertainment value was very low. Sometimes yes you do have to grind out results but we seem to set out to that nearly every game. And for the price of tickets and the players we have at our deposal I hope this is improved on next season.

All four spent considerably more than we did, yes this season maybe Brighton paid less in fees but over the last 5 years they have blown us out of the water. Middlesbrough spent nearly £20M on just two players in 2015/16. Burnley spent £9M on Andre Gray along with having players like Barton/Keane/Heaton on big money as well. I agree that with the players we had this year the top 2 was possible and without injuries to Hooper and Lee at the same time I think we'd have pushed the top 2 more.