Independent Regulator Imminent?

1 hour ago, Umeeksk said:

I certainly agree that foreign governments shouldn't be allowed to buy British sports teams. I think the Government has been utterly asleep at the wheel when it comes to that trend and its implications.

Actually - I'd like us to go even further and adopt the Bundesliga's 50+1 rule that says football clubs have to be majority owned and controlled by their fans.

I'd love to see the 50+1 rule adopted here but its hard to see a path to there from where we are now.

Any mention of it was missing from the Fan-Led Review of Football Governance, despite the fact that the government had said that foreign ownership models could be looked at (Sweden has a similar rule to Germany). 

In Argentina they're looking at moving away from fan ownership to get more money into their league.  They won the world cup, but hardly any of the squad play for clubs in the country, and their recent record in the Copa Libertadores (South America's equivalent of the Champions League) is poor.

There's a lively debate.  Every model has it's good sides and bad sides.

4 hours ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

I'd love to see the 50+1 rule adopted here but its hard to see a path to there from where we are now.

Any mention of it was missing from the Fan-Led Review of Football Governance, despite the fact that the government had said that foreign ownership models could be looked at (Sweden has a similar rule to Germany). 

True enough. 

For now, I'll settle for it becoming possible for fan owned teams to compete with the money men!