Pulis defensive formation

On 27/11/2020 at 10:42, McRightSide said:

Did we play three at the back? I thought it was

Palmer - Lees - Boerner - van Aken

Luongo - Bannan - Odubajo

Paterson - Reach

Rhodes

It was a very fluid formation, that's for sure, which Bannan, Reach and Odubajo all playing quite freely...but looked more like a steady back 4 with Odubajo occasionally providing more support to make a back 5

I saw it mainly as a 5-1-3-1 and it changed kinda to mainly a 4-5-1 in the second half.

Palmer, Lees, Böner, Van Aken, Odubajo                               Palmer, Lees, Böner, Odubajo

Luongo                                                     Kachunga, Shaw, Pelupessy, Bannan, Reach          

Paterson, Bannan, Reach                                                                           Paterson                       

Rhodes 

I don't know exactly now, especially the 2nd half. Like you said a few were playing kinda freely.

Going back to the OP, I don't mind certain style CB's playing full back, if I remember correctly didn't Germany win the 2014 World Cup doing it? Also the Italian teams sometimes do it? Pulis has based his style on a similar one/the Catenaccio.