Pulis defensive formation

Apparently he likes playing a centre half at left back or right back , hence van aken playing at left back.

Speaking to a West Brom fan at work who says he did it with them and with Stoke , he like tall players in those positions by all accounts , surely tough van aken is not suited to playing there.

Yeah he does appear to like a tall back line as I don't think he is too worried about the fullbacks getting backwards forwards putting balls into the box.

I also gives you more tall players in the both your and the opponents box for dead balls.

However they do have to be solid defenders. JVA may miss out because of that, but at the moment we don't have a lot of options.

When Iorfa is fit I can see him coming in at right back and Palmer moving across to th left.

• Like 1

I thought the formation against Swansea with 3 at the back worked pretty well.

Börner looked comfortable in the centre of them, as did Lees on the right.

Van Aken looked mostly fine too for 89 minutes. But he's guilty still of that one big error every game within that 1 other minute. Against Swansea it was costly, against Preston he got away with it, and against Luton he didn't get away with it and was sent off.

If he plays on Saturday it'll only be because there's no-one else to take his place.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Just wonder if he will stick with the 3 at the back he played the other night. If he drops van Aken he doesnt have a lot of options.

We shall see 

Did we play three at the back? I thought it was

Palmer - Lees - Boerner - van Aken

Luongo - Bannan - Odubajo

Paterson - Reach

Rhodes

It was a very fluid formation, that's for sure, which Bannan, Reach and Odubajo all playing quite freely...but looked more like a steady back 4 with Odubajo occasionally providing more support to make a back 5

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, cowl said:

Van Aken looked mostly fine too for 89 minutes. But he's guilty still of that one big error every game within that 1 other minute. Against Swansea it was costly, against Preston he got away with it, and against Luton he didn't get away with it and was sent off.

If he plays on Saturday it'll only be because there's no-one else to take his place.

He was poo all game.

Ponderous, terrible first touch, passed the ball out of play under no pressure on at least 2 occasions, can't clear it properly

Same the other week too.

Rank awful defender

Edited by McRightSide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, McRightSide said:

Paterson - Reach

Rhodes

It was a very fluid formation, that's for sure, which Bannan, Reach and Odubajo all playing quite freely...but looked more like a steady back 4 with Odubajo occasionally providing more support to make a back 5

Yes I thought this was more the set up, although Van Aken often found himself in the middle

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yes I thought this was more the set up, although Van Aken often found himself in the middle

Ok that's good - thought it was just me 😄

It took me quite a while to figure out what the formation actually was because there was so much rotation between Odubajo and Reach in particular

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

He was poo all game.

Ponderous, terrible first touch, passed the ball out of play under no pressure on at least 2 occasions, can't clear it properly

Same the other week too.

Rank awful defender

I know you're not a fan, but it's quite simply not true that he was poor all game.

Still, it's indictment enough against any defender when they're making even one major error a game. That alone is not good enough. When Iorfa's back, he'll almost certainly be out the team, and quite possibly before then should Pulis opt to play just the 2 centre backs or maybe even think about dropping Shaw into a back 3.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Paterson - Reach

Rhodes

I saw it more as 

Westwood

Lees Borner van Aken

Palmer Luongo Paterson Odubajo

Bannan Reach

Rhodes 

But your right it was fluid. As Mike Bassett would say we played the Christmas Pudding

7 minutes ago, cowl said:

I know you're not a fan, but it's quite simply not true that he was poor all game.

Still, it's indictment enough against any defender when they're making even one major error a game. That alone is not good enough. When Iorfa's back, he'll almost certainly be out the team, and quite possibly before then should Pulis opt to play just the 2 centre backs or maybe even think about dropping Shaw into a back 3.

I think left back is a major issue for us. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we see

Iorfa - Lees - Boerner - Palmer

so , when others are fit

Wildsmith

Lofra,Flint, Lees, Borner

Harris, Luongo, Bannan, Reach

Patterson

(New)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I think left back is a major issue for us. 

Wouldn't surprise me if we see

Iorfa - Lees - Boerner - Palmer

I think left back will surely be a position he'll be looking to strengthen in January (if not before).

Even with everyone fit we haven't got a single left back that's proved themselves to be anything even close to convincing.

After Fox's exit, how we went into this season without a replacement, I'll never know.

Palmer has done a strangely adequate job when called to play there so it might well be the way Pulis goes even when Iorfa is back.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Paterson - Reach

Rhodes

From reading comments it sounds like it could be odubajo is like a wing back to focus play on the left side so when he drops to LB it leaves luongo and bannan in the middle but when forward van aken covers...

Just now, cowl said:

I think left back will surely be a position he'll be looking to strengthen in January (if not before).

Even with everyone fit we haven't got a single left back that's proved themselves to be anything even close to convincing.

After Fox's exit, how we went into this season without a replacement, I'll never know.

Palmer has done a strangely adequate job when called to play there so it might well be the way Pulis goes even when Iorfa is back.

Yes, a left back should be on the shopping list. Until then, if we’re going to play Van Aken there, then I’d be tempted to play Penney in the position Odubajo occupied, using Odubajo as a right side option. 
If the manager sees Reach in a more central role, where he did really well the other night, then Penney would give us natural width on the left. I actually think Penney has a better delivery than Reach, and he can drop back and assist Van Aken when needed. A new left back in January though, is essential

Guest whowantstoberich
51 minutes ago, cowl said:

Van aken didn’t play 90 minutes