Messi

IWEDFM

10 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I'm not a big Messi fan to be honest.

Incredible stats at one club, and obviously a very, very good player.

I believe Cristiano Ronaldo is better. Success with three of the biggest clubs on Europe,  and an international record that is better than Messi's.

I can only go by players in watching lifetime but my greatest ever top 5 would be

1. Maradona 

2. C.Ronaldo

3. Zidane 

4. Ronaldo

5. Maldini 

Outside that, Johan Cruyff 's contribution to the football world is amazing.  The best player in the world in the mid 70's , a serial winner at Barca and Ajax, a serial winner as a manager, and the architect of the modern Barcelona model.  

Winning the league with Juventus is akin to winning the league with Celtic in the last decade - it is basically a given. Also Juventus have been less successful in cup competitions in the last 2 seasons.

Ronaldo is second for me too, behind Messi. The two of them have dominated football for well over a decade, pretty much unheard of. Maradona was amazing, but his star only shined for around half the time that Ronaldo and Messi have managed. 

It's a ridiculous argument and like I said previously there is no right or wrong. There are so many different factors to take into account. Nutrition, training and even social media where there is far more scrutiny and pressure put on players today compared to the past, not forgetting barrels of unwarranted abuse. I think it's near impossible to compare players from different generations. What I will say is players of today play under a microscope, every detail is analysed to death and even if they get caught smoking a fag there is a huge deal made of it where as in the past it wouldn't even get a mention as it was the norm