Messi

IWEDFM

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Let's be honest, it's an absolute sh*thouse power play to get rid of the president.  Nothing less.

He'll be going nowhere and will come out of it with an even bigger contract (as usual).

I do agree with you and think he'll end up staying. He's made it clear on countless occasions that he wants to retire at Barca

29 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Seems surreal that he would leave. 

I’ll be surprised if he does. 

I think he might reconsider if the President gets the boot. 

Talking rubbish here but - maybe they could swap him for Neymar+Cash

Dont think Matty Cash is quite good enough for Barca tbh.

I can't see him moving on. 

Would be fascinating if he did, but (as others have said) this is more than likely a political play on his part. 

Interesting times for Barca atm. 

Sort of teetering a bit right now. Could find themselves back to the relative "wilderness" of the early 00s if they're not careful. 

Man City are the only Premier League club that will be able to afford him, and probably the only one he would want to go to.

Be good to see him in Serie A to be honest..CR7 has just broken a 95 yr old goal scoring record at Juve, so there is things still to be achieved.  

20 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

Been confirmed today he's asked to leave Barca 

Strange decision. Been there his entire career, he's captain, earns millions, a club legend yet at 33 wants out

Can't imagine many sides paying his release clause at his age, it's set at £600m or something daft like that

Apparently not happy they're getting rid of his best mate Suarez

Could he do a Job for us? 

On 25/08/2020 at 21:59, mattitheowl said:

Let's be honest, it's an absolute sh*thouse power play to get rid of the president.  Nothing less.

He'll be going nowhere and will come out of it with an even bigger contract (as usual).

You still think this is the case?

It has gone too far. Messi has papered over the cracks for 2 or 3 years in La Liga but the Champions League exits have told their own story. Roma in 2018, Liverpool last season and the Bayern embarrassment was the final straw.

Dani Alves left years ago and Barcelona haven't had a decent right-back since. Xavi and Iniesta were pretty much irreplaceable but the lack of a plan to follow them has been costly. Griezmann signed without a proper plan to fit him in.  

It's a disappointing way for the best part of 20 years to end but his frustration as the team has collapsed around him is understandable. I can't see any way back now, they need a rebuild while he needs to look for a team that can help bring success in the next couple of years.  

On 30/08/2020 at 15:11, Ever the pessimist said:

Although La Liga have, perhaps unsurprisingly, sided with Barca in saying the buy out clause must be met rather than leave for nothing.

As you say it's no surprise La Liga have backed the club. They are on the verge of seeing the best two players in the world leave their product in the last two years, the Champions League performances of both clubs show they are in decline and the unique selling points of the rights to broadcast La Liga are diminishing. 

50 minutes ago, hirstyboywonder said:

You still think this is the case?

It has gone too far. Messi has papered over the cracks for 2 or 3 years in La Liga but the Champions League exits have told their own story. Roma in 2018, Liverpool last season and the Bayern embarrassment was the final straw.

Dani Alves left years ago and Barcelona haven't had a decent right-back since. Xavi and Iniesta were pretty much irreplaceable but the lack of a plan to follow them has been costly. Griezmann signed without a proper plan to fit him in.  

It's a disappointing way for the best part of 20 years to end but his frustration as the team has collapsed around him is understandable. I can't see any way back now, they need a rebuild while he needs to look for a team that can help bring success in the next couple of years.  

As you say it's no surprise La Liga have backed the club. They are on the verge of seeing the best two players in the world leave their product in the last two years, the Champions League performances of both clubs show they are in decline and the unique selling points of the rights to broadcast La Liga are diminishing. 

Barca can't afford to let him go and nobody can afford to buy him.

Just not bothered...

2 minutes ago, mattitheowl said:

Barca can't afford to let him go and nobody can afford to buy him.

I think there will be a compromise which will see him go. He's had enough and Koeman won't help matters either.