Owls watching Tranmere player

8 hours ago, gurujuan said:

If this guy was any good, someone would have given him a chance before now Can’t think of any modern day footballers who have made that type of transition at his age You never say never, but it’s highly unlikely

Ricky Lambert; Bristol Rovers to Southampton at about this age. 

In theory we need 3/4 solid strikers that have 2/3 decent forwards too dependent on playing a 3 or 2 up top. We have: 

Fletcher - High earner, struggles with 30+ games in a season. Great at leading a line but unable to get in behind or score at will. 

Joao - signed small extension but not locked down long term, goals per minute in a shambles of a team is incredible this season. With Winnal, FF and Hooper injury concerns I think he may be cashed in come January. 

Nuhiu - Not everyone’s cup of tea but probably not on expensive salary. Unsure of future beyond this season. 

Winnal - Scores goals at this level, arguably lacking in technical ability but plenty of energy. Out for a long long time, I thought we’d sell in January but unlikely many would take that risk. 

Hooper- If he could stay fit he’s up there with leagues best forwards, unfortunately we’ll likely not see him in a Wednesday kit again. 

So next year, we will likely not have 2/3 of the above, with Rhodes also likely to be farmed out; we need players to replace them that offer ability, robustness and most importantly cost next to nothing! Seems to fit the bill. 

I’m still of the opinion that, at his age, the odds of him being able to step up to this level, are slim. Should we even be considering signing another striker of that age? We have a plethora of strikers Fletcher 31, Hooper 30, Nuhiu 29, Matias 29, Rhodes 28, Forestieri 28, Winnall 27 and Joao 25 Have we learned nothing, if we need to add another striker to the group, it needs to be a younger player

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

I’m still of the opinion that, at his age, the odds of him being able to step up to this level, are slim. Should we even be considering signing another striker of that age? We have a plethora of strikers Fletcher 31, Hooper 30, Nuhiu 29, Matias 29, Rhodes 28, Forestieri 28, Winnall 27 and Joao 25 Have we learned nothing, if we need to add another striker to the group, it needs to be a younger player

How many of those listed do you expect us to have post January or next season? 

I’m glad to see the club have or are scouting lower leagues, that they appear to be planning for future, and are cutting cloth accordingly. All areas we’ve failed in previously. 

In an ideal world you’d rather he was 23 at most but he’s still in “prime” years..:.hardly like the Ryan lowe singing which worked out decent value. But looking at the cost of Jack Marriott as a younger example could we be allowed to spend that currently? If his contract is up in the summer he’d be very cheap.

If we want younger then we’d still be gambling as there aren’t alternatives within the EFL, you’d be looking non league or abroad. 

Im more concerned that if we are looking at strikers then Joao is probably off!

Edited by Bluesteel