[Rubbish thread title]

On 09/08/2018 at 07:28, Cestrian Owl said:

I would like to tell you my life as a Wednesdayite, it started as a boy living in the south part of Sheffield Gleadless/Greenhill and 

desperately wanting to go a football match. My dad not having any interest in football - my only chance was my grandad in Shiregreen so I can still remember my first game in 1967 - Burnley ( we beat 2 -1) it was the most exciting thing I had,done the buss and nearly knocking my grandads teeth out as I stood up to celebrate, arms waving around. The school yard football, mine was Jordanthorpe, United against Wednesday and if you scored a goal in that little school yard at the annexe in Greenhill you were in your mind scoring a goal in front of the kop at Hillsborough. So, my mum and dad moved to Teeside, when I was in my teens. So I started my new school in Stockton on tees, I did know what hit me! Every one a Boro fan, I stayed true to the cause Sheffield Wednesday, even the time when we got beat 8 - 0 off Jack Charlton’s promotion winning side in the seventies- it was a long afternoon at Ayresome Park and being with my school friends - the banter was cruel that day. I would try to see Wednesday, whenever I could when my parents visited Sheffield to see relations. 

So life moves on, still Wednesday my team - looking at the ups and downs (mostly downs), playing local football and training with my beloved Sheffield Wednesday football strip on (all the others having Boro kits). I then in my twenties moved to Chester, got married, had children, then the wilderness years started, always following my team and as so many this site, I could not afford to travel and go to the match. Then, just over four years ago my wife passed away (cancer) and I had been nursing her for about a year, whilst doing a full time job. I got to such a point, I can always remember my wife saying to me “Why do you want to see them, pointless, waste of time”! But when I got to Hillsborough, it was against Barnsley - Stuart Gray in charge.... last few  minutes Wednesday score 1 - 0! Relegation eased.

This changed me, the old feelings came back, my wife had now passed away - and coming to Hillsborough on a more frequent basis I was loving it! The people of Sheffield are something else, they didn’t know what had happened to me, but when I sat next to someone, I always talked to them and they to me and had great banter and chat. So, the play off season came, that Sunday before the playoff final, I thought, I’ll try for a ticket - to my biggest surprise I got a ticket for Wembley- going to Wembley with Wednesday, dream come true! We all know the rest. I was enjoying my football so much at Wednesday I got a season ticket, sitting next to a great bloke last season and a friendship has been form

My dad passed away in May this year, yet again cancer and working full time and travelling from Chester to Teeside for hospital appointments, he knew what a difference Sheffield Wednesday had made in my life since my wife had died, he said for what I had done he wanted to buy me a season ticket, for what I had done to try and get him better - so yes,I am thankful him for buying me this seasons, season ticket and this will be my dads season for whatever it brings us.

I know football means different things to different people and we all have own opinions,thoughts,angers,joys but, a few weeks ago I got to see our lads at Carden Park Chester - They were great! - I was like a rabbit in headlights, yes I am 61, but my partner just took hold of the situation and I had photos with a lot of the 1st team squad.

I wrote this tread, due to previous comments and what Sheffield Wednesday has mean’t to me over the years - yes things are tough to which direction/policy we will follow in the coming season, but as fan,supporter, I just wanted to tell you what the owls have mean’t to me.

After seeing the first line, did anybody else read the rest of this post in their heads as a Fresh Prince of Bel Air rap?

On 08/08/2018 at 16:23, Green Howard Owl said:

This is the first and maybe last time that  I  really feel the need to make  a comment on here, I have been watching Wednesday for about 55 years, home and away with Thommo and his brother Steph and then for my sins joining the army, and in all these years I have come to realise I know only 2 things, 1  I was born a Wednesdayite  and 2 I will die a Wednesdayite and In between I will have some great times and some bad times, that's my job,  to support the team I love. I have no idea how to run a football club or what's the best tactics for a game, I have my opinion but it's my opinion and I don't feel the need to become a Keyboard Warrior and tell everyone how things should be done. I just turn up and support my team,.

Spot on post and exactly how I am / feel. 

Hi Cestrian ,

Have not been to as many as I would have liked due to work, but I am now Retired and got my Levi jacket and a new pair of Doc's ox blood red of course, I nearly died at the cost of Doc's  my 1st pair cost me £5.00 from Army and Navy stores.

Don't think I will be running across the pitch as we did at Preston a long time ago would have to stop half way for a nice cup of Yorkshire Gold Tea, this getting old lark is crap.

Will be getting to as many games  as possible,