On this day in 1961 - Wednesday in Europe

I was there. My second season supporting the Owls, my first year with a ST in the new North Stand, cost £4 10s if I remember correctly - 50p less than the Pigs programme !!

Brilliant team, we expected them to win every game and weren't often disappointed.

• Like 1

I was on the Kop.  They scored in the first few minutes from a little black guy who was rapier fast and had cost them a huge fee.  Noyongu or something.  At the Kop end as I recall. Looked all over at 2-5 aggregate. 

Apart from recalling their opener, I only remember the bloke behind me saying McAnearney was having a great game. The crowd used to pick on Tom when things were not going well. Not that night though. 

Can't remember owt else. I would have been 14.  Just another routine win I guess for 1961.   I'd never heard of Olympique Lyon.  

Not long back I was stuck in rush hour traffic going through Lyon.  Frances 3rd biggest city, nearly twice Sheffield size.  Felt quite proud thinking back to that night in 1961.  At the time we were used to winning.  Great days. 

• Like 1