John Harkes on his way to SWFC

1991. And it still feels like about 6 weeks ago...

I can't get over the passing of time but the flame that still glows from all of those memories will never diminish. The emotions, the music, the sights and sounds, anticipation and wonderment, euphoria and pride. All of them heroes, all of them with their own story, each of them to be remembered for ever. All captains and leaders, all of them my favourites. 

We drank from the top table and truly tasted silverware; these boys won a war on that pitch against Man Utd at Wembley. Watch the slow mo of the crunching tackles and find the look in their eyes. They left nothing out there and gave us a moment that only those who lived it will ever know of.

My brother, my soulmate, we went to it all together. We had to watch the match apart in the stadium. The moments as I waited for him after with Dad, well...I remember spotting him in the distance running down Wembley way then he spotted me then he was right there and we just leapt on each other.

JH will be forever linked with all of it. He embodied the spirit we had and had such drive. I have lots of obvious great John Harkes moments. But one night at Hillsborough we were sat at the bottom of the North Stand Leppings Lane end, can't even remember who we were playing. JH had the ball in front of us and this bloke behind us, in excited anticipation yelled 'Goo on Johnny f**k him!!' And JH looked back over at us and stared laughing...

Thank you Johnny Harkes. One of the best.

Edited by goldensmoke