Games that Flattered to Deceive

2 hours ago, Low Flying Owl said:

This is tricky to differentiate between flattering to deceive and rank bad performances. So, trying to stick to the spririt of the OP:

1. The tedious 0-0 v Carlisle in the final game of the 79-80 promotion season. Flat as a panacake.We were third in the end behind Grimsby!!

2. Colchester 1 v 1 away draw in the Mind The Gap run-in. Seemed like it was all a false hope of catching the enemy.

3. Losing at home to Scunthorpe Utd in 4th Round of FA Cup in the 69-70 relegation season. At that stage it looked like a good cup run could spur us on even though we were bottom of the League (false hope). Had just beaten WBA in 3rd Round despite Tony Brown scoring the best goal I've ever seen by an opposition player at Hillsborough.

4. Getting torn to shreds by Watford in the 81-82 run in. 3rd with five games to go (flattered to deceive) as they destroyed us. Heartbroken all through the allotments behind the away end and first inkling that the wonderful Big Jack might not be the man to take us back to Division One.

Phil, can you change this pound note for 2 fifty pees garymegson

Palace 2-2 last match of the season (sending us down to league one) 

Bristol City where we lost 3-2 on December 8th (my birthday) 

Stevenage at home where we lost 1-0

Yeovil   was it 2-2 at home and Yeovil had two sent off

There have been many more games I have been to where it has been bad,      struggling to score and win

On 9 October 2016 at 20:01, Owl 44 said:

God I remember those days - we could never beat Everton - I used to hate playing them in the mid to late 80s. That was in the days when FA cup replays went on and on until there was a winner. I thought that was the third replay. I thought we drew with them at Hillsborough initially, then went back to their place where we drew again, then a coin throw determined we would play again at Goodison where we drew again and then brought them back to Hillsborough. Might be wrong, it was a long time ago. I was chuffed as I thought we'd beat them at our place. How wrong I was - losing 5-0. I couldn't believe it. I wasn't at the match - couldn't attend that night and was glad I didn't.

IIrc, very very early on, mark chamberlain went past their defence like a knife through butter, and blazed high over the bar. I turned to my mate and said "I think we've got 'em this time......" Then it was 0-4. 

On 12/10/2016 at 17:09, Low Flying Owl said:

This is tricky to differentiate between flattering to deceive and rank bad performances. So, trying to stick to the spririt of the OP:

1. The tedious 0-0 v Carlisle in the final game of the 79-80 promotion season. Flat as a panacake.We were third in the end behind Grimsby!!

2. Colchester 1 v 1 away draw in the Mind The Gap run-in. Seemed like it was all a false hope of catching the enemy.

3. Losing at home to Scunthorpe Utd in 4th Round of FA Cup in the 69-70 relegation season. At that stage it looked like a good cup run could spur us on even though we were bottom of the League (false hope). Had just beaten WBA in 3rd Round despite Tony Brown scoring the best goal I've ever seen by an opposition player at Hillsborough.

4. Getting torn to shreds by Watford in the 81-82 run in. 3rd with five games to go (flattered to deceive) as they destroyed us. Heartbroken all through the allotments behind the away end and first inkling that the wonderful Big Jack might not be the man to take us back to Division One.

Always love an excuse to post the photo of me and mi dad ont pitch afterwards. I'm the one in yellow lol

1980.jpg