Championship Teams

Guest Sheff Owl

Guest Sheff Owl

I know on paper when you at some of the teams in the Championship you could think 'friggin hell' but so a far i don't think out of everyone we have played we have been well and truly battered/outplayed apart from Brighton..

Derby IMO was ok first half we allowed them so much space and time to do what they want and conceded daft goals (especially the first) and then when stopped showing them so much respect and thought actually the Championship ain't that bad we started to batter them and COULD have easily won that game.

Birmingham a team that i wasn't really impressed with apart from Chris Burke who was brilliant that night and again both their goals could have easily been stopped, just silly mistakes again. Barnsley just managed to hammer them 5-0.

Millwall did start brightly and then we took the lead and then they came at us got their 2 goals which was from sloppy marking and not looking at what was happening around us. Yes we got the winner in the last minute but i can't say i thought Millwall was great.

Crystal palace well all i can say is that their goals came from basic mistakes again, i mean both their goals should NOT have happened just comical defending. Their first win of the season too.

Brighton, well they were well and truly the better team and fully deserved to win. Move on.

Huddersfield played on the counter attack and we allowed them too, how Novak managed to score a diving header between to big CB's is beyond me, sloppy marking again. I don't even think Huddersfield were that good, yes they got lucky with the 2nd pen but the first probably was a pen.

Then to Bolton to say they had just been relegated i thought Bolton would have been much, much better, Kevin Davies, Chris Eagles and Zat Knight were fantastic but the rest i can't say i was really impressed. That was Bolton's first win away.

What i'm saying is yes the Championship is a tough league but nothing we have played (forget Brighton) has been anything to be frightened of so far IMO.

Huddersfield/Charlton haven't made major changes and they are doing ok so far, neither did Norwich and Southampton and look where they are now.

Barnsley have a team of players that are mostly from League One clubs and have managed to hammer Birmingham and draw with Blackpool, yes they got hammered by Brighton but again move on.

Team spirit goes a hell of a long way and it's something that we look like we are lacking, the team has been ripped apart from last season and all that spirit and heart has gone, only Antonio started yesterday that played in the Wycombe game, could you blame some players IF they was starting to get pissed off?

Team spirit goes a hell of a long way and it's something that we look like we are lacking, the team has been ripped apart from last season and all that spirit and heart has gone, only Antonio started yesterday that played in the Wycombe game, could you blame some players IF they was starting to get pissed off?

If that's correct I am flabbergasted.

Dismantle a losing team Yes.

Dismantle a winning team- you would have to be crazy.

Oddly I don't think DJ is crazy. But I don't get his plan. Time will tell.

The margins are so tight in every game and with no exceptions the quality in the division is a hell of a lot better than any time I can remember since being out of the Premiership, DJ eludes to the same fact by stating we have to cut out the individual errors as that is what's costing us and he's right.

If you look at the sides we've been beaten by (most notably Brighton) they did it with free flowing attacking football not humping it up to the big man and hoping that you get something from the knock downs, its too easy to play against and prevent. DJ likes intelligent footballers who can play the game more than one way, we've just had the confidence knocked a little from a few bad results and the team not quite gelling.

Changing the game plan to get the confidence back for me would be the wrong thing to do because once the players in this team click then we will give some teams a proper hiding. The only thing lacking for me is the covering of the midfield to take the weight off the back four......invariably at this level defenders are not 'ball players' and need to stop pretending they are or can be, we might then stop conceding needless possession in our own defensive third and putting pressure on ourselves.

Huddersfield/Charlton haven't made major changes and they are doing ok so far, neither did Norwich and Southampton and look where they are now.

Yeah - just the 9 players they have brought in

Norwich signed 9 players and loaned in 6 during their championship season

Saints signed 8 and loaned in a further 6

Apart from that though there were no changes...