The Complete Defence

After completing the signing of Danny Batth that leaves us with 9 senior Defensive players, giving us competition/cover in all positions, and possibly paving the way for a Mark Reynolds departure.

As I see it this is how it currently stands.

CB: R. Johnson, M. Beevers, R. Jones, D. Batth

RB: L. Buxton, J. Otsemobor

LB: J. Bennett, D. Jones

Out/Cover: M. Reynolds

How do fellow Owlstalkers feel that the current defensive line-up stands to the infamously dubbed "£10M Defence" which I believe consisted of Simek, Spurr, Beevers, Wood, Bougherra?

Personally I think this is potentially one of the most solid defensive structures we have put together in a long time. We appear to have adequate cover in all positions and coupled with the added benefits of Weaver, Prutton & Semedo we could be looking at a fair few clean sheets. Who needs strikers when you've got a defensive unit like us! lol

Guest totemowl

I'd say that £10M tag was based on potential rather than what they were delivering. It's a good question but until they've delivered for us at a higher level I'd have to say the current crew aren't quite as good.

Edited by totemowl

I'll hold my hand up and say the "£20 Million Freeroll" thread was from myself. (really based on how in poker you can enter a tournement for free but end up winning a fortune with well thought out play and plenty of luck)

As totemowl said it was really based on potential at the time of the 5 at the back that cost absolutly nothing.

Grant

Simek - Beevers - Wood -- Spurr

This was at the very start of the 2008-09 season. It was a little tongue in cheek at the time & not too well thought out BUT the reaction was massive from what I remember. Just looking at the results from that season the defense where excellent apart from hammerings at Wolves,Reading & Plymouth.

Still now I dont think I was deluded in my views.

Guest londonowl1

Our defence is ok, probably ok in league 1, but in the championship we would get ruined week in week out.

On that basis i would say our defence is weaker now than the "10 million" defence

I'll hold my hand up and say the "£20 Million Freeroll" thread was from myself. (really based on how in poker you can enter a tournement for free but end up winning a fortune with well thought out play and plenty of luck)

As totemowl said it was really based on potential at the time of the 5 at the back that cost absolutly nothing.

Grant

Simek - Beevers - Wood -- Spurr

This was at the very start of the 2008-09 season. It was a little tongue in cheek at the time & not too well thought out BUT the reaction was massive from what I remember. Just looking at the results from that season the defense where excellent apart from hammerings at Wolves,Reading & Plymouth.

Still now I dont think I was deluded in my views.

Agreed. The defence was young, it was confident, it had all the attributes, it was doing a great job and had masses of potential.

Then Wood then spat his dummy out, Spurr sulked because his mate had left for Coventry, Beevers progress halted, Simek was regarded as 'injury prone' because of one serious injury and Grant was moved on to pay a tax bill.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

i think this deffence is far better then the old 10mill one

the only person you could argue as being a better player back then in Simek, and he isn't nearly the same player now

Bennett seems to be in a similar mould to Simek, tough tackling and solid but mobile.

Bennett and Buxton at fullback = Solid

Jones and Ostemebor = Going to cost you goals