The nightmare is over

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Brighton haven't had it easy, asset stripped of their stadium, 2 years traipsing to Gillingham for home games, followed by 12 years at a "temporary home", last day deciders to stay in the league, fair enough they had a few promotions as well but it's been a bottom for em.

I talked at length to a Plymouth fan a couple of days ago over a beer and he was shaking his head at the shennangans that are going on there. He can't see a way out of it. He lives in China but still buys a season ticket just to help a bit.

Now that's a fan who doesn't deserve his nose being rubbed in it.

I respect all those clubs and their supporters but you really can't put clubs like Chester and Wrexham in the same category as Wednesday. Their decline while regrettable mattered only to about a thousand fans, if that. Even then, thier decline was only from the 4th division to the conference (or in Chesters case, extinction), it wasn't the huge drop and protracted 12 years of misery that we suffered. Even Wimbledon were for the vast majority of their history a tiny southern league club with crowds of about a thousand (there were only 3,000 there when they played us...lowest ever PL crowd). Wimbledons success under Bertie Bassett was achieved through thuggery and gamesmanship anyway so I'm glad they went!

Some of the clubs mentioned declined because no one could be bothered to watch them, you can't say that about us, I defy ANY club to still pull in 15,000 home fans after 12 years of decline. Maybe Man City as they did get big crowds in the third. Liverpool, MU, Chelsea...no chance... their fans live miles away and would stop going at the first relegation.

It's not arrogance but I firmly believe we have a hardcore fanbase bigger and more loyal than anyone. We need another 15,000 to get on board for next season because the revival starts here. I repeat, the nightmare is over!