Change in formation?

Been thinking, is a change in formation from the traditional 4-4-2 needed to push on further? There could be many possibilities we could change too, but one for me which stands out is 3-5-2 (well more like 3-4-1-2). It would allow us to use our attacking strengths perfectly, as I think just one up top would waste our attacking options we have. 

GK is obvious. We could make Hutchinson a proper CB and put him alongside Lees and a new signing (Hanley?) meaning Loovens and Sasso would be rotation options here. I think that could be good. Adam Reach would be excellent at LWB I feel, although we may need a backup option as I'm not sure Pudil or Fox could be good here, Fox maybe with some training for the future. The RWB space I'd have a new guy come in and have Hunt as the rotation, no space for Palmer unfortunately but could move him back to CM if we really wanted.

In the midfield, you'd have Lee, Bannan and Jones all going for the two slots, with FF just in front and behind the two strikers. And then there is Abdi, who could be adept at playing further back or as an attacking mid. The front two would be any pairing of the 5 we have.

Thoughts?

(attached image a possible lineup)

2017-05-20_201613.png

4-4-2 is fine as long as Carlos decides on his best pairing in centre midfield and dosnt play all three making us lobsided ,and we buy some genuine pace on the wings who can supply quality into the strikers. 

Just now, S36 OWL said:

4-4-2 is fine as long as Carlos decides on his best pairing in centre midfield and dosnt play all three making us lobsided ,and we buy some genuine pace on the wings who can supply quality into the strikers. 

Where would we play our best player FF in a 4-4-2 though? He's not defensive minded enough to regularly play left wing and we have too much quality strikers to waste him upfront anymore.

1 minute ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Where would we play our best player FF in a 4-4-2 though? He's not defensive minded enough to regularly play left wing and we have too much quality strikers to waste him upfront anymore.

Cant answer that . Thats why im not a manager .lol

14 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Been thinking, is a change in formation from the traditional 4-4-2 needed to push on further? There could be many possibilities we could change too, but one for me which stands out is 3-5-2 (well more like 3-4-1-2). It would allow us to use our attacking strengths perfectly, as I think just one up top would waste our attacking options we have. 

GK is obvious. We could make Hutchinson a proper CB and put him alongside Lees and a new signing (Hanley?) meaning Loovens and Sasso would be rotation options here. I think that could be good. Adam Reach would be excellent at LWB I feel, although we may need a backup option as I'm not sure Pudil or Fox could be good here, Fox maybe with some training for the future. The RWB space I'd have a new guy come in and have Hunt as the rotation, no space for Palmer unfortunately but could move him back to CM if we really wanted.

In the midfield, you'd have Lee, Bannan and Jones all going for the two slots, with FF just in front and behind the two strikers. And then there is Abdi, who could be adept at playing further back or as an attacking mid. The front two would be any pairing of the 5 we have.

Thoughts?

(attached image a possible lineup)

2017-05-20_201613.png

I suggest you watch more closely what already happens when our fullbacks bomb forward and Hutchinson drops between Lees and Loovens.

3 minutes ago, Blatter said:

I suggest you watch more closely what already happens when our fullbacks bomb forward and Hutchinson drops between Lees and Loovens.

You're gonna have to tell me I'm afraid, the seasons over now I can't wait him closely anymore

17 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

You're gonna have to tell me I'm afraid, the seasons over now I can't wait him closely anymore

Plenty of chances to watch on youtube, but there is what Carlos likes to call a transition.

Put simply when our full backs are in aadvanced positions the central defenders go wider and Huutchinson drops deep between them. Pretty much as your diagram.

It also works best when Hooper is fit & does the deeper  link role with Fletcher more advanced.

Main problem is getting the full backs in the right position if the opposites have a quick break down the wings as Happened v Huddersfield Wednesday evening.