Formation Crippling us

I know we should care too much about what the opposition do.

But there has to be a basic nod given to the simple maths of it.

And what people are physically capable of.

I don't think our system allows our wingers to be wingers. They're too busy worrying and running.

It was ok in the old days when everybody played 4-4-2.

But a lot of teams don't now. You can't ignore it.

Yes Leicester won thw title. With it. But in Drinkwater and Kante they had two of the busiest b'stards I've ever seen. Remarkable superhuman fitness desire and energy. 

We DO NOT HAVE A KANTE!

Can you imagine in the 1990's if we asked players to do what we ask Reach and Wallace to do...

Jesus H Christ. 

Can imagine this with Chris Waddle. 

"Chris, Man United are playing three in the middle today Keane, Ince and Robson. Shez and Calton are outnumbered. So when the ball goes in there I want you to sprint in 20 yards off the wing and help mark Keane.. try and tackle him if you can. If you cant and they then pop it out to  Giggs I want you to then sprint back 35 yards diagonally chasing Irwin to help Roland out with overlap. Then , when we do get the ball I want you to sprint 60 yards back up the pitch and put in an inch perfect ball. I want you to do that every week. Ta" 

"Wouldn't it make more sense to stick Graham Hyde in with Carlton and Shez and let me concentrate on destroying the full back?"

"Erm.No."

I don't understand why he doesn't play 4-3-3 especially with the players we have.

You have to try and win the midfield battle and the side that does usually controls the game. Putting three in there would give us a great chance of doing so whilst also playing to our strengths. Abdi would do better in a three and it would cater more to Hutch siting in front of the back four.

we could then play FF and Macmanaman either side of Rhodes.

3 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

I know we should care too much about what the opposition do.

But there has to be a basic nod given to the simple maths of it.

And what people are physically capable of.

I don't think our system allows our wingers to be wingers. They're too busy worrying and running.

It was ok in the old days when everybody played 4-4-2.

But a lot of teams don't now. You can't ignore it.

Yes Leicester won thw title. With it. But in Drinkwater and Kante they had two of the busiest b'stards I've ever seen. Remarkable superhuman fitness desire and energy. 

We DO NOT HAVE A KANTE!

Can you imagine in the 1990's if we asked players to do what we ask Reach and Wallace to do...

Jesus H Christ. 

Can imagine this with Chris Waddle. 

"Chris, Man United are playing three in the middle today Keane, Ince and Robson. Shez and Calton are outnumbered. So when the ball goes in there I want you to sprint in 20 yards off the wing and help mark Keane.. try and tackle him if you can. If you cant and they then pop it out to  Giggs I want you to then sprint back 35 yards diagonally chasing Irwin to help Roland out with overlap. Then , when we do get the ball I want you to sprint 60 yards back up the pitch and put in an inch perfect ball. I want you to do that every week. Ta" 

"Wouldn't it make more sense to stick Graham Hyde in with Carlton and Shez and let me concentrate on destroying the full back?"

"Erm.No."

Couldn't agree more.  I've rattled on about this before.

We are missing a runner in midfield without Kieran Lee.  Without a runner from midfield we have nothing to cause the oppositions defensive midfielders to move.  Their defence deals with our attackers, their full backs mark the wide players and their two defensive midfielders sit looking at our central midfielders knowing that there isn't a cat in hells chance of one of them is going to run beyond them and make them turn.  Hutch won't do it, Bannan won't do it, Abdi won't do it but at least advances with the ball, Jones won't do it.  Kieran Lee is the only midfielder we possess that will get the other side of the oppositions midfielders.  I don't know how many time I've said this, but Buzzer, Floater, Spreader, Runner.....we don't have the runner. 

This is why I have been calling for us to play with 4 banks of players.  If we have nobody who will run beyond the opposition midfield, then position someone to occupy the position further ahead.  Play 4-2-3-1, 4-1-3-2, 4-4-2 diamond, 4-3-3, but for gods sake, we need the person receiving the ball from the back to have the opportunity to pick a pass forward rather which doesn't involve the strikers.  We are playing an archaic system that pretty much every modern team does not play. To top it off, we don't have the right players to play it.

Carlos wants the wide players to tuck in to give that forward option. My problem with that is why ask a wide player to move into the most congested area of the pitch?  Why ask a full back to attack and do a wingers job?  If we are going to persist with 4-4-2, then someone is going to have to get further forward from midfield.  Leeds played, yes, you guessed it, 4-2-3-1, not very well mind, but we struggled to command the midfield, and we will always struggle to command the midfield if we only have two central midfielders trying to cover that amount of pitch. 

I would love to see us playing 2 up top.  Preferably Rhodes and Hooper/Winnall.  However, if we do not get back to controlling midfield then it won't matter if we have 4 up front. 

Edited by spike1867