Danny Röhl: Home v Away

After today’s disappointing performance I got to thinking about the comparison between our home and away performances since Röhl took over and couldn’t help but feel this is an indicator to where our (on-field) issues are: 

Home:

Played: 14, Won: 7, Drawn: 3, Lost: 4, Points: 24, For: 19, Against: 16, Position: 8th

• Games with No Goals Scored: 3
  • Avg Goals Scored P/Game: 1.4
  • Avg Goals Conceded P/Game: 1.1

Away:

Played: 15, Won: 4, Drawn: 0, Lost: 11, Points: 12, For: 7, Against: 30, Position: 20th

• Games with No Goals Scored: 9
  • Avg Goals Scored P/Game: 0.5
  • Avg Goals Conceded P/Game: 2

We needed a near-miraculous turnaround when Danny Röhl took over and to be fair we seem to have just about done that in terms of our home form; however, our away form is what still seems to be costing us. 

Our system under Röhl seems to work well when we play at home but for whatever reason we struggle with it when playing away. Intriguingly, we have lost every single away game under Röhl where we have conceded a goal. We only average one goal in every two away games (and in reality we have only actually scored a goal in nearly 1/3 of our away games) so effectively we have to keep a clean sheet if we want to get anything out of an away game. 

I get what Röhl is trying to do; however I feel as though we need to go back to basics a little when playing away; focus on solidifying, be more patient and work our way in to games; whether that be by a change in formation, personnel or game-plan. Too many times it feels like scoring goals has been way too easy for our opposition and games have effectively been over before even really getting started.

I would argue that Preston was our best away performance of the season; it wasn’t pretty but it was a solid, battling performance where we threw everything at it to grind out a win; I don’t think I have really seen us put in that kind of performance since. 

Three away games left to go; QPR, Blackburn and Sunderland on the final day. I’m not a big fan of football clichés but I don’t think “points over performances” has ever been more relevant and I can’t help but think that finding a way to get something out of these games will be key to whether we stay up or not. 

• Like 2

He's caught between a rock and a hard place with our squad.

Put the emphasis on attacking, and we have it in us to squander chance after chance before conceding a sloppy goal.

Go defensive, and we're more than capable of buckling under pressure and conceding sloppy goals whilst offering next to no threat on the counter.

Whichever way he turns, there's a pretty good chance the players will let him down.

We've just got to hope they can pull off enough good performances in what remains of the season now.

• Like 1