World cup qualifying games

Sefton owl

Anyone followed the games tonight? Caught the last 10 mins of the Ireland game and was shocked to see them leading in Portugal. I root for them as I have some Irish heritage so they are my second team after England. Gutted for them as they put in a big shift but there’s absolutely no stopping Ronaldo. 

Sounds like their manager has been under a lot of criticism and don’t think he’s won a game yet.

Definitely like having the rivalry of ‘home nations’, if you class Ireland as that, at a world cup but doesn’t look like England will have that any time soon. Only other team I can see joining us at a world cup is Wales but they’ve got an especially tough group. 

11 hours ago, Sefton owl said:

Anyone followed the games tonight? Caught the last 10 mins of the Ireland game and was shocked to see them leading in Portugal. I root for them as I have some Irish heritage so they are my second team after England. Gutted for them as they put in a big shift but there’s absolutely no stopping Ronaldo. 

Sounds like their manager has been under a lot of criticism and don’t think he’s won a game yet.

Definitely like having the rivalry of ‘home nations’, if you class Ireland as that, at a world cup but doesn’t look like England will have that any time soon. Only other team I can see joining us at a world cup is Wales but they’ve got an especially tough group. 

For the expanded World Cup in 2026 it's harder to not qualify. Suspect Scotland will still find a way mind...

4 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

For the expanded World Cup in 2026 it's harder to not qualify. Suspect Scotland will still find a way mind...

Only 3 more places in that World Cup than in Qatar, so 16 altogether, the same number as the Euros until it was expanded in 2016 and no other homes nation qualified for the Euros after 96 until 2016, unless you count Rep. Ireland as one of the home nations but even then that only happened in 2012. 

So I'm expecting New Zealand, Syria and Cape Verde to be in the WC but not Wales, Scotland, N. Ireland

• Haha 1