Football management-over complicated?

The more I think about football management the more I feel that the most important aspect is whether a manager can command respect from his players to a level where the players do not want to let him down.

Think of the managers that are doing well at the moment, Klopp, Guardiola, Bielsa, Wilder etc, all have the players respect

It's a sliding scale, someone like Warnock has loads of respect when he's in the championship but this would diminish if he was put into the PL with players who didn't, or like Roy Hodgson who is respected at mid level PL but becomes Woy if at England or Liverpool

Like Zidane is perfect at Madrid because they have the best players and they need someone of that magnitude to ensure they perform 

I think a reason why someone like Monk struggles is because he's young, not scary looking, not an amazing player. Some awkward dressing room characters try to push their luck due to this. Monk had his best spell at Swansea manager where he was previously their respected captain. I can see based on this why Monk would freeze players out-he needs to assert his power.

I think this is also why coaching badges don't equal success. Obviously some tactical nouse is needed but I don't think it can be implemented if the respect isnt there

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Burnsie said:

So you're suggesting the best players make the best managers? We know that is not the case. See Henry, Zola etc 

Being the best player doesn't necessarily mean they will be able to command respect from the players.

I'd say Zidane is great for Madrid because they just need someone that is better than them to guide them.

It's a pre-requisite for success, but there are many. You need a good tactical system, players to suit the style, quality, leaders and squad balance . I'd argue it's not possible to win trophies or promotions without all of these but yes, respect of the manager, and the ability to get players to follow instructions is crucial