The role of the 3 in the 4-2-3-1

On 20/09/2018 at 09:12, Tamworthowl said:

Reach and Matias are making runs. Usually they are not being seen and the opportunity missed.

First few minutes yesterday: Fox across to Baker, down the channel to Matias, disappointing cross, but wins a corner. 

They (and Joao) do/did more runs, and the fullbacks get free out wide, but So many of the opportunities are missed and the long pass into the channel missed, even by Bannan.

I agree, our front four are way too static, but when runs are rarely picked out it must limit the enthusiasm to make the next run.

Its what Jos commented on after Saturday: other players than Bannan need to take responsibility to make the play.

I guess everyone sees things differently. I just noticed on several occasions, especially Home to Stoke (inc Mattias Goal), Mattias and Reach, in a line with Fletch slowly jogging forward as if waiting for Bannan to hit them with a long ball. It worked once!!

I guess I'd be happier if they came deeper and helped out (perhaps a change of formation), there seems to me, to be a big gap between the 2 and 3.

UTO

We need to back to a more conventional 4-1-2-3 style for me, when you play the advanced midfielder it means the other two are more restricted, so for me leave Joey to hold and either put the new lad or reach in the midfield 2, this platform suits Joey more and allows the 2 more freedom to roam and float about hunting for pockets of space to exploit or break from deeper to join the attacking 3. It may sound on paper less attacking, but it does mean its actually more offencive as it allows you 5 going forward rather than 4.

On 20/09/2018 at 11:43, Bouncing Owl said:

One thing which is absolutely evident is that Adam Reach should not be playing the number 10 role in a 4-2-3-1. Absolutely clear as day.

Ive mentioned this on another thread - we need to go to a more conventional 4-3-3 system where we have a designated defensive midfielder with 2 others ahead without a number 10. 

Reach needs to use his legs - his main attribute is his energy. I’d use him in wide attack but he may be vulnerable to being dropped given other options.

Just basically said the same thing bud as I missed your post, spot on for me.