Bishop of Grantham - Tim Ellis

I don't get some of that, especially the last few paragraphs...

"This time, players capable of playing two leagues higher have seen us promoted. There was something noble about the former as opposed to the uneasy feeling that this time promotion has been bought, and bought at the expense of other worthy clubs who do not enjoy the attentions of the sugar daddy"

"but it will be with the uneasy feeling that all this will be achieved, not for the general good and welfare of Sheffield Wednesday and its fans and the creation of a true ‘club’"

What is he waffling on about?

Edited by BRADDAZ

I don't get some of that, especially the last few paragraphs...

"This time, players capable of playing two leagues higher have seen us promoted. There was something noble about the former as opposed to the uneasy feeling that this time promotion has been bought, and bought at the expense of other worthy clubs who do not enjoy the attentions of the sugar daddy"

"but it will be with the uneasy feeling that all this will be achieved, not for the general good and welfare of Sheffield Wednesday and its fans and the creation of a true ‘club’"

What is he waffling on about?

He has reservations about the future of the Club and the future of football.

He has reservations that in today's football world - to be successful - you have to have money.

He has reservations that football is now a business - and not based on community.

All valid points, but twenty years too late. He is stating the obvious.

He has reservations about the future of the Club and the future of football.

He has reservations that in today's football world - to be successful - you have to have money.

He has reservations that football is now a business - and not based on community.

All valid points, but twenty years too late. He is stating the obvious.

Agree.

He needs to live in the now, embrace and accept that it's the way football is. He compares the two promotions in his article, but at that time we were still operating losses, we still had a large budget comparable to other teams in the division at the time, we as fans still paid large amounts of money to watch Wednesday. I just don't see how this promotion can be seen any less or feel any less than the Cardiff one. In fact, he contradicts himself when he opens with,

"So it’s final, after several months of some of the best and most committed football I have seen from a Sheffield Wednesday team for several years, we have finished second in League One and earned automatic promotion. "

The best and most committed football team he's seen for several years. But it feels less because of money. Doesn't to me and I don't think it should to anyone. He should remember we beat a Sheffield United side with a budget nearly three times as much as ours and an Huddersfield team that's spent a few million quid on players.

This promotion doesn't feel any less than the Cardiff one. In fact it feels better after all the years of hurt, torment and frustration of the previous decade.

Like I say, he needs to live in the now and accept football for what it is and not put a downer on a fine achievement by in his words "the best and most committed Sheffield Wednesday team for several years".

Like I say, he needs to live in the now and accept football for what it is and not put a downer on a fine achievement by in his words "the best and most committed Sheffield Wednesday team for several years".

I agree with everything you have posted.

But, I think his blog is good and thought provoking. It would be a useful discussion to have on Owlstalk - but would in reality, it would be useless.

I wouldn't have directed it at our club, but football in particular.

Being a football fan is a lottery - just look at Blackburn - Jack Walker to the Venky's. You have to hope that your club is in good hands - there is nothing more that you can do.

Hasn't it always been the case, but to a lesser extent in the past?

The 'business model' will never change - football in this country will never be community 'owned' IMO.

BUT - there should be some intervention to stop or turn back the monster it has become. The financial rewards are, too top club dominated - in effect creating a monopoly and clique.

The Premier league should be made to sort this out - and if not, should be legislated against. Money should be more evenly distributed.

MP's only get involved when it their own club.

Meanwhile an effective cartel continues.

I dont think he lives in the past..fotball is being killed by the money men

there will come a time when a big club does go under completely then the masters of the game

may do something.

It doesnt stop my love of the beautiful game or my life long faith to my team (lile thousands of other fans)

but I do know deep down something is really not right with how the game is run.

Edited by Big Jack

Guest fatherowl

Bit of a surprise to find my blog picked up here! So, to be plain and not waffle...do you want Wednesday to end up like Portsmouth, a previous club owned by Milan and sold on and now struggling? That's what happens when profit is the only motive. Rangers are another example. Incidentally Dunsby Owl-no I don't.

Bit of a surprise to find my blog picked up here! So, to be plain and not waffle...do you want Wednesday to end up like Portsmouth, a previous club owned by Milan and sold on and now struggling? That's what happens when profit is the only motive. Rangers are another example. Incidentally Dunsby Owl-no I don't.

Welcome to Owlstalk. I enjoyed your blog.

There are no guarantees even under 'local' ownership, as we had before.

You have made valid points, but I don't know what the answer is. Intervention is needed on a national level, not local.

Worrying isn't going to solve anything - just enjoy the ride.

[Fatherowl, has Danny Wilson been to confessional yet? and please have a word with the big man to keep united down until his son returns to be amongst us............just one other little thing, a prayer from you so my lottery numbers come up!............(i will definitely donate to the church fund if i win!)