Fighting Fit

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/Gaffers/0,,10304~1984320,00.html

Fitness boost for Irvine

Posted on: Thu 04 Mar 2010

Sheffield Wednesday manager Alan Irvine received a big boost on Friday when skipper Darren Purse came through training unscathed and so too did Jermaine Johnson, Francis Jeffers and Tommy Miller.

The experienced quartet have recovered from hamstring strains and could feature when the Owls host Leicester on Saturday in a crunch Championship clash.

Irvine said: "Darren Purse trained today and came through without any problems so we are delighted with that. Jermaine Johnson and Franny Jeffers trained as well and Tommy Miller got another session so it's looking a lot healthier on the injury front."

The SWFC gaffer has intimated that there could be changes in the ranks when ex-Owl Nigel Pearson brings his high-flying Foxes to Hillsborough.

Wednesday are still smarting from the heavy defeat suffered at Reading last Saturday that saw them slip back into the relegation zone.

Irvine reasoned: "When you have a result like last week, you have to think about what the alternatives are. As I always do, I will be looking very hard at the options and alternatives that we have.

"We were in a perilous position when we came here and we got off to a great start. I said at the time that we needed to win 11 games in order to survive and I still believe that to be the case.

"We now need to win another six games, so nothing has changed in that respect. In fact, the ratio of games we need to win is almost exactly the same. We have shown that we can win games if we go about our jobs properly."

Summing up his press call ahead of one of the Owls' biggest games of the season so far, Irvine paid tribute to the level of support he has witnessed from Wednesdayites since he took the reins in January.

He added: "I've said the players have to be mentally tough and the fans may have to be mentally tough as well. They can help us, there's no question about it, they have helped us already and there is no way I could criticise them for the support they have given us.

"I haven't come across anyone who has not been supportive and positive. The support that I have had in my short time here has been terrific. It's blown me away actually because of the numbers and the intensity of the support and I hope that continues."