Pre-season despair

After three very underwhelming pre-season friendly performances, I am comforted that the usual despair is returning to us Wednesdayites. I was rather worried when poster after poster had been trumpeting the fact that we were going to pi55 this league. When did that ever happen? I'm now into my fifties and I cannot recall a time when we set any league on fire. I checked back through the records and the last time we actually won a league was the old 2nd Division in 1958-59. We actually made a habit of pi55ing the old second division back then.

Even back when our side was amazing in the old 2nd Division (1990-91), we only managed to come third.

Still I'm not on here to bring us all down. Pre-season friendlies count for nothing. I recall the pre-season of the 1993-94 season when this happened...

BODMIN TOWN 2 - 9 WEDNESDAY

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 0 - 5 WEDNESDAY

EXETER CITY 0 - 6 WEDNESDAY

GLENTORAN 1 - 7 WEDNESDAY

BANGOR 0-2 WEDNESDAY

GLASGOW CELTIC 1 - 1 WEDNESDAY

WEDNESDAY 1 - 1 DERBY COUNTY (NIGEL WORTHINGTON TESTIMONIAL)

SHEFFIELD UNITED 0 - 1 WEDNESDAY (DEREK DOOLEY TESTIMONIAL) so that's 32 for and 5 against

Buoyed up for the new season we then did this...

LIVERPOOL 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY

WEDNESDAY 0 - 0 ASTON VILLA

WEDNESDAY 0 - 1 ARSENAL

WEST HAM 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY

We got out first point and goal in our fifth match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

The strikers who were culpable for the joke that was going round Sheffield at that time ( that we were being renamed Sheffield Wednesday Nil) were the following...

MARK BRIGHT

DAVID HIRST

PAUL WARHURST ...who were being supplied by Chris Waddle and John Sheridan

the likes of NIGEL JEMSON and GORDON WATSON couldn't get a game

So I won't say don't despair because that is what we Wednesdayites do best. Everton's motto is Nil Desperandum (don't despair), back in 1993-94 we had to put up with both the desperandum and the NIL.

After three very underwhelming pre-season friendly performances, I am comforted that the usual despair is returning to us Wednesdayites. I was rather worried when poster after poster had been trumpeting the fact that we were going to pi55 this league. When did that ever happen? I'm now into my fifties and I cannot recall a time when we set any league on fire. I checked back through the records and the last time we actually won a league was the old 2nd Division in 1958-59. We actually made a habit of pi55ing the old second division back then.

Even back when our side was amazing in the old 2nd Division (1990-91), we only managed to come third.

Still I'm not on here to bring us all down. Pre-season friendlies count for nothing. I recall the pre-season of the 1993-94 season when this happened...

BANGOR 0-2 WEDNESDAY

SHEFFIELD UNITED 0 - 1 WEDNESDAY (DEREK DOOLEY TESTIMONIAL) so that's 32 for and 5 against

WEDNESDAY 0 - 1 ARSENAL

WEST HAM 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY

We got out first point and goal in our fifth match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge

The strikers who were culpable for the joke that was going round Sheffield at that time ( that we were being renamed Sheffield Wednesday Nil) were the following...

MARK BRIGHT

DAVID HIRST

PAUL WARHURST ...who were being supplied by Chris Waddle and John Sheridan

the likes of NIGEL JEMSON and GORDON WATSON couldn't get a game

So I won't say don't despair because that is what we Wednesdayites do best. Everton's motto is Nil Desperandum (don't despair), back in 1993-94 we had to put up with both the desperandum and the NIL.

Why didnt we get a point for drawing 0-0 with Villa?

Why didnt we get a point for drawing 0-0 with Villa?

Glad to see you spotted my deliberate mistake. I would now like to give you the opportunity to enrol in The Kernowl Proofreading Course? Price on application...

Edited by kernowl

BANGOR 0-2 WEDNESDAY

WEDNESDAY 0 - 1 ARSENAL

WEST HAM 2 - 0 WEDNESDAY

Thanks for going to the trouble of researching that. I will continue to maintain that pre-season results are almost entirely irrelevant and this backs that up to some small degree. I have little doubt that it wouldn't take too long to build up a voluminous body of evidence to show what little relationship there is between scorelines before and after the opening day of the season.

Just amazing that the combination (any two from three) of Hirst, Bright and Warhurst failed miserably at the beginning of that season. It was a mouth-watering prospect after reaching the two finals. It was the season when one of the pundits on Match of the Day actually thought we were good enough to win the league.

A few weeks later Warhurst moved to Blackburn and blew his career. They (Dalglish), despite Warhurst destroying Blackburn in the Rumbelows semi, never played him as a striker as far as I know.