Ticket Pricing

Guest dodgy_bowls

Guest dodgy_bowls

Last night Notts County played Brentford and slashed ticket prices to get people in the door. I think kids were let in for nothing and no tickets cost more than a tenner. As a result, they had their highest attendance of the season, despite it being a Monday night.

I know it's been said before, but getting fans back in the ground should be a priority with our dwindling gates. The current economic climate has been used as a reason and money is tight everywhere, but this shows that at the right prices - more fans will come through the turnstiles.

Guest BenTheOwl

Last night Notts County played Brentford and slashed ticket prices to get people in the door. I think kids were let in for nothing and no tickets cost more than a tenner. As a result, they had their highest attendance of the season, despite it being a Monday night.

I know it's been said before, but getting fans back in the ground should be a priority with our dwindling gates. The current economic climate has been used as a reason and money is tight everywhere, but this shows that at the right prices - more fans will come through the turnstiles.

Play/theatre - 3 Hours maybe £50

Gig - 2 Hours maybe £35

SWFC - 1 Hour 30 Mins £27ish

All entertainment packages there, but people seem to find money to get to the plays and the gigs!

Gig - 2 Hours maybe £35

All entertainment packages there, but people seem to find money to get to the plays and the gigs!

Yeah, but you don't go to the whole tour, or to the theatre every week, do you.

Wednesday is every week (even more sometimes, especially if you travel away too which is MORE expense) whereas the average person would not go to that many plays/gigs.

I see Wednesday are doing some promotions for two forthcoming matches. I understand that we are only allowed to do 4 promotions per year, though.

Yeah, but you don't go to the whole tour, or to the theatre every week, do you.

Wednesday is every week (even more sometimes, especially if you travel away too which is MORE expense) whereas the average person would not go to that many plays/gigs.

I see Wednesday are doing some promotions for two forthcoming matches. I understand that we are only allowed to do 4 promotions per year, though.

And here lies the problem.i,m afraid we will pay all season for the massive hike in prices.its too late to change things now.

Gig - 2 Hours maybe £35

So you should pay by the minute for entertainment?

All football matches are the same length, unless there is extra time obviously, so should you pay the same to see Manchester United vs Arsenal as you would to see Rochdale vs Bury?

If you're paying £35 to go to see a gig I'm guessing you're seeing a major act in an arena whereas you could see a couple of hours and support for £15 at a smaller venue. Which, as a coincidence would be a much more sensible price for attending a second tier football match in a stadium which is rarely half full.

Guest Pickle66

Apart from small bands and venues you can't get tickets to gigs for £35 quid.... try £50 minimum and you might be closer to the mark. Entertainment is expensive full stop!

It is a tough one.

Wednesday receive the same amount of catering money whether they sell 1 pie or 10,000 pies.

Wednesday receive the same amount of programme money whether they sell 1 programme or 10,000 programmes (95% sure programme rights have been sold as well as the catering, though someone might be able to correct me on this).

Wednesday receive all the money for match day tickets sold.

So, Wednesday keep the price at an average of £25 and 18,000 turn up. We receive no further cash from catering or programmes sales.

25 x 18,000 = £450,000

If Wednesday put the proce to an average of £10 (like the Norwich game last season) and 30,000 turn up. We receive no further cash from catering or programmes sales.

10 x 30,000 = £300,000

Looking short term, which in our current financial position is very important, we've just lost £150,000 but got an extra 12,000 bums on seats. Can we really afford to do that? I understand we need to think about future generations of fans yes, but if we were to lose £150,000 every home game, there might be no Sheffield Wednesday for future generations.

It's a tough decision thats for sure - striking a middle ground would be sensible - perhaps £15 on average for a ticket (on 30,000 that would equal £450,000), but would that guarentee 30,000?

I think this season the club went with the 'safe' bet of raise the prices as they expect (and were right) a guarenteed 18,000 for 99% of the games - the games that don't reach 18,000, the local derbies and other big games will help even things out.