They say its the hope that kills you...

Guest Grandad

1 hour ago, tomhollywood said:

Chairman needs to leave, simple as that for me.

The problem is that the bit described as ‘simple as that’ is literally the hardest thing of all to change!

How the hell do you get a bloke who owns something and has spaffed loads of money (£100s of millions), to just ‘leave, simple as that’?

And who has to come in instead?

Obviously this is a question without any reasonable answer. 

We are all at a low ebb because we care so much for something (Wednesday)that matters so much to us as Wednesdayites. I firmly believe that the present owner has not one iota of a clue about us,our heritage,our passion or our commitment. Does he not realise that for thousands of us Wednesday might be the first thought when we wake and  the last before we sleep ?. He doesn't seem to understand that for many of us SWFC isn't a hobby or a passing phase but it's a way of life that has a major role in our lives. We collect memorabilia and keep programme's,we treasure souvenirs and we never,ever stop talking about the 70s or the Boxing Day Massacre. We wax lyrically about Big Jack and the Wembley win over Manchester United and some of us oldies recall not wanting to go to school after losing to Everton in 1966. We have bought into our club on an emotional,and when possible financial,level that many clubs can only dream of. We have travelled the length and breadth of the country to see our heroes,through rain fog or snow,because we are Wednesday and we will never give in or give up hope. We have argued and debated with each other because we all only wish to see success on and off the pitch because that is what means so much to us.

I've said elsewhere that players,managers and Chairmen/Owners are only tenants of their position as long as it is appropriate for them to be so. We,the loyal and trusting fans,are the permanent glue that holds us all together through  the trials and tribulations that are placed before us.

We criticise,of course we do,but we only criticise because we care so much for our Wednesday community and our club.

Keep the faith and stand by something that matters so much to us  in the hope that better times are ahead for us all.

Rant over thank you.

WAWAW...and proud to be so. Always have been and always will be.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, Grandad said:

... I think its the lack of hope personally.

Ive been in the office since 730 and just staring into space, completely shell shocked.

I just can't process my thoughts and feelings. I absolutely love this club, it has such an emotional attachment as it brings back so many memories of family who I have shared highs and lows with, family no longer with us like my Dad and Grandad. It has connected us across 4 generations, my children are fans too. 

Right now I feel the future is more bleak than it was during the High Court dramas. Weve had nearly a whole year with no fans attending, a year of complete dross on and off the pitch. I don't remember the club ever being so badly run as it is now - the culmination being the way the club is treating our already disconnected fans with ticket refunds. That will come back and bite them. On top of that we have;

The points deductions for breaking the League rules.

The drifting from one bad manager to another - the awful football. The truly awful awful football.

The hawking of the stadium to secure a paltry loan from effectively a loan shark - when the Chairman supposedly has unlimited funds.

The expense. Like never before.

And the lack of any hope. It was the hope that kept the club afloat at the time of the High Court dramas - it was the hope and the fans that made the club such an investable item.

That hope has been removed - I can't blame the players for the performances - the majority of them just simply arent good enough to compete in the Championship. Most of the new signings weren't getting games at their old teams. The squad we have has been forced on us by our FFP misdemeanours and the need to bring things back into line.

By targetting the players with our anger it is self defeating - I worry about fans getting back in the ground as that will increase the nervousness.

How many of those fans that are now out of the habit of attending Hillsborough will return? We could well see gates back below 15k - maybe even worse than that. 

The whole situation on and off the pitch looks completely hopeless. I do think its worse than the High Court days - but probably not as bad as the mid 70s. How we need a Jack Charlton/Bert McGee right now.

(Sorry for the long ramble - I guess sometimes it just helps to share the thoughts and check out its not just me feeling like this)

None of that makes good reading, difficult to argue anything against the fact that we are in a sorry state. From my own perspective I don't think things are as bad as they were in 2009-2011, yet......

You say that in the days of the high court dramas we had hope - did we? Did we really have any more hope than we have now? As well meaning as our reluctant chairman was at that time he was advertising the club left right and centre and struggling to find any meaningful interest to the extent that we were entertaining complete chancers and charlatans at the expense of the club. Our CEO was more or less reduced to tears on the steps of the high court such was the impending gloom.  

On the pitch it was no better. Having publicly humiliated ourselves on terrestrial TV in the Palace game we moved on to 3rd division football the next season where the likes of Huddersfield were able to wipe the floor with us on our own patch with as much ease as a better Huddersfield side managed last night while even lesser lights like Tranmere, Leyton Orient and Exeter ripped us to shreds.

The players were a joke, the Teale and his baby Bentley became a topic of ridicule, a stick to beat players with but emblematic of the time in that the club didn't have a pot to p*ss in but under-performing players carried on taking big money out regardless.

Attendances did drop to the 14,15,16K mark and the way that the 2010-11 season fizzled out under new manager Gary Megson was hardly reason to be optimistic about the following season. 

We are shambolic right now, sadly even for our younger supporters, this is nothing new.  

I had little interest in football before lockdown

2020 has tarnished any love I had for the game 

Footballs dead, all about billionaires/millionaires playing with a toy they have zero clue about