Lee Bullen on managing The Owls "I took over at really difficult times'

Large.jpg

Sheffield Wednesday's Lee Bullen talks about his time as caretaker manager at the Owls

"I've done okay actually," he told Pars TV. "The first time was the hardest because we had 14 players out injured.

"We won our first game 3-0 at Forest, but lost the next two and then drew in the Cup.

"But overall, I think I've almost had a 50 per cent win rate in the 15 games I took charge.

"It's nothing to be sniffed at but I took over at really difficult times.

"Two of them were Christmas periods where you don't get any time to recover.

"The third one was this pre-season with two weeks to go before the season started with Steve Bruce leaving to take the Newcastle job.

"I was a bit rabbit in the headlights, so to take over at that point was always going to be a tough ask.

"In the back of your mind, as a caretaker, there's always (a thought) that somebody else is going to be coming in so you can't really stamp your own authority on it because two weeks later a new voice might come in.

"You've got to almost go with what the players know and make the best of it.

"Overall, I think I've done relatively well when given the opportunity."

Check out the Dom Howson's articles on The Examiner here 👉 https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/i-took-over-difficult-times-18266420

Owlstalk Shop

Love Bullens stints - always the same play book.

1.  'A good man has lost his job.'

2.  'The Chairman is a good man, he says I will have at least until the (PICK RANDOM CRAP TEAM) game.

3.  'I just thought Kieren and Sam could give us that bit of experience we needed.'

4.   A storming win follows

5.  'The players have been great, I just told them to play with a smile, and they enjoyed that.

6.   A narrow win or draw follows

7.  ' I thought we were a bit leggy ,we had to battle and we did.

8.  ' I can't say that I don't want the job but the Chairman is his own man.  I know I have at least until the (PICK RANDOM CRAP TEAM) game.

9.   A twotting against said random crap team follows

10. 'These players have let a lot of managers down.  It was heartbreaking out there.  All the work we did on the training pitch was for nothing,  You can't legislate for that.'

11. 'You'll have to ask the Chairman.

12.  'I know the Chairman has got an appointment in mind, I'll just have to see if they want me around.  In the meantime I'll prepare the players for another twonking against (INSERT RANDOM CRAP TEAM);

13.  Repeat 8 months later.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Love Bullens stints - always the same play book.

1.  'A good man has lost his job.'

2.  'The Chairman is a good man, he says I will have at least until the (PICK RANDOM CRAP TEAM) game.

3.  'I just thought Kieren and Sam could give us that bit of experience we needed.'

4.   A storming win follows

5.  'The players have been great, I just told them to play with a smile, and they enjoyed that.

6.   A narrow win or draw follows

7.  ' I thought we were a bit leggy ,we had to battle and we did.

8.  ' I can't say that I don't want the job but the Chairman is his own man.  I know I have at least until the (PICK RANDOM CRAP TEAM) game.

9.   A twotting against said random crap team follows

10. 'These players have let a lot of managers down.  It was heartbreaking out there.  All the work we did on the training pitch was for nothing,  You can't legislate for that.'

11. 'You'll have to ask the Chairman.

12.  'I know the Chairman has got an appointment in mind, I'll just have to see if they want me around.  In the meantime I'll prepare the players for another twonking against (INSERT RANDOM CRAP TEAM);

13.  Repeat 8 months later.

It works though - look at his win record

Owlstalk Shop