Louis Shackshaft "My assessment on who should get a new contract"

13 hours ago, james o connor said:

Pudil should be kept on yes. 

Why a heavy heart though ? They are just players who have stopped serving a purpose . They need moving on ... 

Alright......I just enjoyed watching them play for us and think they’ve given us good service so it’s a shame it’s potentially coming to an end.

Hmmm.  Don't agree with all of the discussion here.  It's not quite true that we have lots of deadwood. It's sort of true: but it's also true that we have run out of players to use.  Further, we have older players - Pudil and Wallace obvious examples - who have had good injury records this season.  Our injuries are not necessarily correlated to squad age.

Having said that I would lose Wallace and Loovens; keep Pudil who I really like in a back three; and see what we can offer Nuhiu who I imagine is one of the lesser paid squad members.  

On another point, I don't see why we shouldn't feel sad about players retiring.  It's Sheffield Wednesday.  Some years we do relatively well, some years less so; but we're never going to be anything particularly special in terms of what's happening on the pitch.  Much of the point is the continuity over the years - whether that's the players you've liked or the experience of days out with family and friends.  That doesn't mean keeping players beyond their sell by dates or creating coaching roles but I shall feel a little nostalgia for Loovens, one of our best signings of the past decade (but now entirely hopeless)