Trains to Wadsley Bridge

I live very close to Oughtibrige Station and the old ticket office. The station fell derelict a few years ago but builders did it up and sold it on. The building opposite is the old pub which is just a big house now on Station Lane.The Train comes now and then which I believe from Aldwarke in Rotherham to Stocksbridge park steels.

what year?

the only pub round there from the late 60s onwards was the pheasant, next to what used to be Oughtibridge cop shop, and its nowhere near the station, (which was derelict in the early 70s) the station was about 500 yds away at the end of station lane, the opposite side of the tracks from the old silica brickworks, up from the pub and turn left,

the building opposite the pheasant was also connected to the brickworks, latterly barber road services, road haulage, it was developed after i grew up, what it became, i don't know

the large building opposite the old railway station was a house, an old spinster woman lived there in the early 70s, lived there all her life apparently,

Edited by scarboro-owl

Guest JohnFantham

what year?

the only pub round there from the late 60s onwards was the pheasant, next to what used to be Oughtibridge cop shop, and its nowhere near the station, (which was derelict in the early 70s) the station was about 500 yds away at the end of station lane, the opposite side of the tracks from the old silica brickworks, up from the pub and turn left,

the building opposite the pheasant was also connected to the brickworks, latterly barber road services, road haulage, it was developed after i grew up, what it became, i don't know

the large building opposite the old railway station was a house, an old spinster woman lived there in the early 70s, lived there all her life apparently,

I believe the pub was called the Station and it's on Station Lane, at the back was a bandstand where a band used to play and people used to dance there.

I think the pub closed in the 50s. the same Landlord was there for years apparantly. That's what I have read anyway.

Guest JohnFantham

I believe the pub was called the Station and it's on Station Lane, at the back was a bandstand where a band used to play and people used to dance there.

I think the pub closed in the 50s. the same Landlord was there for years apparantly. That's what I have read anyway.

Further to this the pub opened in 1865 at 105 Station Lane but not sure when it closed. the Landlord was called George Fairest who was there from 1867 to 1921 aqnd was founder member of the Oughtibridge band. sorry about digressing from the original post.

Further to this the pub opened in 1865 at 105 Station Lane but not sure when it closed. the Landlord was called George Fairest who was there from 1867 to 1921 aqnd was founder member of the Oughtibridge band. sorry about digressing from the original post.

thanks for the info, i never knew any of that