Trains to Wadsley Bridge

As the station shut for good in 1988 I never got the chance to get off at Wadsley Bridge and go to the match.

What are people's memories of the trip, the station etc...

I know it was re-opened for Euro 96.

Are there even people that can remember the old Woodhead Line completely? (shut in 1970 - I've downloaded the line for Train Simulator :blush: )

Here it is in 1975

wadsley_bridge8(8.1975).jpg

Edited by KivoOwl

As a 10 year old back in 1966, I used to get the train from Penistone with some older lads.

We would get off at Wadsley Bridge and walk to the ground & pay 1s/6d to get on the Kop :biggrin:.

The return train was very poorly timed for the match. we had to leave 5 mins before end of match or we would miss the train.

I missed a few late goals because of train times so I never leave early now.

As a 10 year old back in 1966, I used to get the train from Penistone with some older lads.

We would get off at Wadsley Bridge and walk to the ground & pay 1s/6d to get on the Kop :biggrin:.

The return train was very poorly timed for the match. we had to leave 5 mins before end of match or we would miss the train.

I missed a few late goals because of train times so I never leave early now.

Blimey, when I started in 52 it was a bob, and it was still a bob when I finally got too embarrassed to go in the kids entrance around ten years later.

Guest mkowl

Ah the 80's when the away fans got off the train at Wadsley Bridge and we went past on the 80 bus enquiring if they wanted a Nescafe. Can't remember home fans ever using the station in that era

Guest mkowl

Probably justified

Used to screw up the traffic heading up Halifax Road as the police held up things whilst they frog marched the fans back to the station. Many a day got on a bus at Hillsborough Park and were still passing the ground heading north an hour after the game

Last time I was there was March 5th or 26th 1966 we had caught the train at Victoria Station on our way to Blackburn or Huddersfield. Our train didn't stop as we were full but a few hundred Owls fans were waiting to be picked up.

We had a few trains booked but they were called 'Football Specials' then rather than ICO's.    

Never got on or off the train at Wadsley Bridge but travelled on the Woodhead line many times as a kid, used to love going through the tunnel. As mentioned above its a crime what happened to it.

There is a great website about disused stations, this is the Wadsley Bridge page

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/wadsley_bridge/index.shtml

post-585-0-97912200-1400890081_thumb.jpg

been going since 62 and cant ever recall the station being used by home fans except for the odd away day special (sunderland springs to mind in the early 70s).was often used for the visitors specials in the 60s/70s.

If Woodhead Tunnel is being turned into a cycle track. I think I'll give that route a miss next time we're in Manchester. Can't imagine riding there comfortably, stopping off at every peak district boozer en route.

Anyone fancy taking Sammy, riding on Handle bars?

I used to live in one of the station houses at Wortley station. My dad worked at Deepcar station. No passenger trains in those days though. I don't recall seeing any football specials pass through either.

We're you in that row of six cottages below the station?

We're you in that row of six cottages below the station?

We lived in a row of railway worker slums behind and higher than the station. Can't be seen from the road. I think you are thinking of a different row, on the Deepcar side, by the river.