Sheffield Wednesday, WTF.

Guest CageFightingOwl

Guest Mancunian_Owl

Wow just wow.

Threads like this just show the fickle nature of Football Fans.

Why did we get rid of players like this, well mainly because us "fans" wanted instant success and these players all carried baggage/ issues/ potential that needed time to flourish. No one was willing to give them that time to learn their trade and grow into a world class Footballer. Not only that, but are we honestly thinking that Eric Cantona would have become the world class player he did under Alex Ferguson under Paul Jewell? 

In December I had a strong debate with at least 15 people who said that the development squad was a waste of time and that we needed to get ourselves out of relegation now and not build for the future. We had just taken a young City lad on for free and people were complaining about it, yet in the same breath we are now talking about not using the talent that came through our doors either?

That same month I had a further argument with another 10 people over our Loan window policy, where we took kids on from higher leagues and then tried to sign the ones we thought were decent (Antonio, Treacy, Fryatt, Kenwyne etc). Sometimes we were successful sometimes another team came in and offered more, but in the meantime we had a player of high quality training with our squad and hopefully improving the team.

Not since the days of Beevers/ Spurr have we actually brought through our own talent to add to the leagues, the closest we came was when we gave Glenn Whelan (an Ex-City Academy player) and Chris Brunt (an Ex-Middlesborough Academy player) contracts when we were struggling in League One.

So to answer your question as a whole- why did these players not flourish, simply put US. We demand instant success, Nuhui was called useless within his first three games, there was a thread started after the Bournemouth game that Gray should be sacked (whilst he was still caretaker) and finally statements on this thread saying that players should only be called a work in progress when they are 17/18 and they should be class at 24. Does no-one remember that until 22 Ian Wright was basically playing Pub Football before Crystal Palace signed him.

This is a long and ranting reply to a rather tedious question and I make no apologies, until WE FANS (and I include me) give players years rather than days to come good then we will always sit here going "if only".

Think it was in 1989 that big Ron arranged a public friendly at Hillsborough against Danish club Brondby to have a look at their keeper who we had first refusal on.

We won 5-0 and keeper had a stinker.

We left him alone but Peter Schmeical went on to have a decent career anyway.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

Nuhiu is absolutely woeful though.

Is he though? I think he's a decent footballer but he won't get you more than a dozen goals a season, he's more a forward than a striker, he brings others into play.

I'd like to see how he copes next season.